Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,267   Posts: 1,534,340   Online: 762

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    BTW: I guess my initial question was not that clear.

I am not framing any final prints yet. I was just wanting to keep track of the information that was involved in making a particular print so I could use them as reference later.

I ended up in this forum since the question did not seem to fit any other forum.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I write that information on the back in pencil. The developer, toner, dodge/burn info, etc. and keep these as references in a black portfolio from the art shop. Nothing fancy, just the kind with a sheet of black paper to separate two prints in a clear sleeve. I usualy also write the info down in a notebook with more info on enlarger settings, lens settings, etc.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67 View Post
    I write that information on the back in pencil. The developer, toner, dodge/burn info, etc. and keep these as references in a black portfolio from the art shop. Nothing fancy, just the kind with a sheet of black paper to separate two prints in a clear sleeve. I usualy also write the info down in a notebook with more info on enlarger settings, lens settings, etc.

- Randy
    i have doubts as to the usefulness of recording such info, i did so for a number of years, then realised when later reprinting a neg my style, preference and abilities have changed so to make a new print the same as the original is creatively restrictive

anyway, just write on the back of the print with a soft pencil, more versatile and no problems later trying to remove labels and glue, incorporate a unique number that references the neg file, and if required a reference to a number used in a database where further details are recorded

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Flying Camera. Labels may be archival, but the glue on the back will dry out with time and the labels will fall off, leaving crap on the back of the print. Personal experience speaking.
    I sign the back of prints with a pencil, and include my file #, the date printed, and the location if pertinent (i.e., landscapes). Other information such as paper, film, exposure, etc. is kept in a log book.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    For mounted prints only, I use a rubber stampwith my name, date created and date printed, title and edition. The ink I use is said to be the best archival ink you can purchase and is said to not fade, bleed or discolor with time.

For loose prints, I write nothing on the back, but rather keep a log book of how to print all my images. Of course, varibles always change your exposure and such, but it gets you in the right area.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    I agree with Flying Camera. Labels may be archival, but the glue on the back will dry out with time and the labels will fall off, leaving crap on the back of the print. Personal experience speaking.
    I sign the back of prints with a pencil, and include my file #, the date printed, and the location if pertinent (i.e., landscapes). Other information such as paper, film, exposure, etc. is kept in a log book.
    Dear Eddy,

I use the same labels designed for slide mounts, and have done for maybe 20 years. None has fallen off yet.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    Peter sent me an Excel file that cotained a template of what he uses. I attached a portion of it here. The file contained four labels per page.

(Thanks Peter, that is just what I was looking for. I tried replying to your email but I got an error message saying it could not go through)

I will modify it a bit for my purposes. I don't have
    a darkroom since circumstances limit me to shooting
    4x5 E6 and scanning them.

I will have to go out now and buy some acid free
    labels in that size. Do you happen to have a product
    number to recommend?
    I use labels made by Apli, ref code 1280. The label is 148mm x 105mm and there are 4 labels on an A4 page. They are probably not archival but I only stick them to my preference print which I refer to when printing from the same negative in the future. I may not get an identical print again but the information gives me a good starting point.

Peter
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use an archival 6B pencil.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post
    i have doubts as to the usefulness of recording such info, i did so for a number of years, then realised when later reprinting a neg my style, preference and abilities have changed so to make a new print the same as the original is creatively restrictive
    I keep track of this info because I find that it saves me both paper and time - neither of which I have in any quantity on a regular basis. By first looking at a reference print and then this info I have a starting point for changes and I don't have to waste materials re-printing from scratch. While I too find that I may change the way I make any given print over time, having a starting place stimulates creativity by allowing me to jump directly to different variations of the print.

I forgot to mention before that I, as some others have pointed out, find a 4B or 6B pencil allows for clear writing without indentation on fiber paper.

- Randy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Wite all the info you need on a sheet of acid free paper and fold it over to hold the print. Paper from a sketch pad works well and is fairly cheap. I keep my 8x10 prints stored in old photo paper boxes. I wonder if the boxes will effect prints however.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin