Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,223   Online: 886

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Where is the best place to sign a overmat?

Hi All,

Just wondering where is the standard place one would sign there name on a prints overmat? Would it be at the bottom of the window right side or the bottom of the matt right side?

Thanks,

Jamie
    Keep Film Alive, Shoot Everyday!
    JamiesInfraredPhotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I sign mine on the lower right of the window.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also sign mine on the lower right of the window.
    This takes me back to my schooldays, and the old schoolboy joke " Where did they sign the Magna Carter ? " answer "At the bottom ! "
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Print title in the lower left below the window, number in edition in the middle, and signature to the lower right below the window.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Negative exposure date bottom left, name bottom right, stamp on the back for other details: print description/name, negative number, exposure date, and print date. Oh, and my contact information.

I avoid print titles on the front of the print, since it affects a viewers interpretation. Different strokes....
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Oh, one more thing - for B&W photographs, make sure you use a harder grade pencil, and print lightly. This is important, since your eye is drawn to the area of highest contrast, and if your name is black-black-black on a nice white mat board, guess where the area of highest contrast could be? Hint: it's not on the photograph.

I use a 6h pencil, and print lightly - like you could make it dark enough without embossing the mat board
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy22 View Post
    Hi All,

Just wondering where is the standard place one would sign there name on a prints overmat? Would it be at the bottom of the window right side or the bottom of the matt right side?

Thanks,

Jamie
    I never sign overmats. I sign the mat, just below the print on the right side. Cut the overmat so that it's larger than the print and float the print in the overmat's window.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Right, not the overmat. The overmat can be removed. I was referring to the mount board itself.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    I never sign overmats. I sign the mat, just below the print on the right side. Cut the overmat so that it's larger than the print and float the print in the overmat's window.

Absolutely, far as I'm concerned. Overmat signing always seems a bit hasty, artfairish, unprofessional.

On my unmasked zia contacts, taped loose to the back mat, no heavy border area showing, I sign my name and year taken in pencil, very small, within the image's extreme lower right corner (hell, if a painter can do it why can't I). Title and © are out of sight on the paper border so I duplicate that information on the back of any framed print.

Related but off-subject, I have found over time that, if you must protect a zia (or other P/P), TruVuUltraClear is the only grade of glass I've ever found that lets the nuances come thru. That greenish museum stuff smothers the 'look' and I figure not much need to worry about fade or oxidiation with noble metals.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have enourmous respect for a photographer named Jay Dusard, his North AMerican Cowboy book was a result of his first Guggenheim fellowship, he has since recieved another.

When I asked him about signing my prints he said, sign them with the hardest pencil you can find, why, because it will leave the faithest of color so as not to detract from the image. Makes perfect sense to me, it's all about the image, not the maker.

Lower right, below the print, last name, # 4 pencil
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin