Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,148   Online: 859

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    First impressions are that it is an excellent site with some wonderful images with my personal favourites being the horses. I can live with music, I am an ex pro musician and like your choice, but I think I would quickly become bored with it when returning unless of course you continually change the songs used. I did not like the automatic change of image, like a few others I prefer to choose for myself when to move to another picture. My biggest crit is the very dark background which I hate and to my eye degrades some beautiful images, but that is just personal taste. Thanks for sharing Shane.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Shane, I agree with some of the other comments about the large popup window. I somewhat disagree about the music. I do like the music choices, however if you had composed and recorded specific music to set the tone, pardon the pun, in an effort to convey the message in your work then the music would be great. As it is, it is borrowed and applied after the fact.
    I also would rather select from thumbnails to see a larger image.

Summary:
    The images are arranged well.
    Website is well designed as a whole.
    Images are wonderful.

You will get many different opinions here so keep what you like and discard the rest.

Gary Fairchild
    "He who expecteth nothing,
    Shall not be disappointed." Robert Willingham, 1907

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Shane,

Yours is the first site where I was content to 'be led by the nose' through a website...only because your images were so good! Some people (hint-impatient folks who have little time yet make heaping mounds of cash) may want to have the option of a more 'self guided tour' like a normal website.

Like I said, your work held me...

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shane:

I too like your website, and like your photos even more.

I think the music is okay, but mostly because it starts out quietly, without lyrics.

At home, I'd be happy to leave it on, and in fact turn it up.

At the office, I'd prefer to have the choice to leave it off.

Is it possible to have that as a choice from the initial page - i.e. "Enter, with music", or "Enter, in silent mode"?

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, there are some technical issues that you need to work on (like that full screen thing). But otherwise, I love your site. Your musical choices are some of my favorites and I felt the did set the tone beautifully for your work. Excellent job.

CGross
    Shane, your pictures are absolutely wonderful especially the horse shots.
    There is lot's of good feedback here so I won't write a book . Overall the site is beautiful.

You may want to give the website visitors an option to view your site with or without flash. Maybe a quick excert about what they will experience if they were to choose the flash version. You can write the code so that it is not a pop up, but rather a new page in a new window (at least that's what all of my developers say at work!!!) Alot of users do not allow pop ups and although it is easy to temporarily allow them, I am not a fan.

Excellent Job, and with or without any changes, you have created a very nice digital doorway to your photos.

btw..a perfect selection of music.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Shane

As others expressed great images.
    but
    dislike the brown background, I do not like the inability to click on images and move around myself , I found the transition very slow from image to image, I actually do not mind the music but I would prefer a quicker transition when moving around.Also whenever I see that loading graphic I am wondering if it is my problem uploading or a slow service at your end.
    Over all though the site is quite nice . I am sure clients would love to keep on seeing more and more work in the portfolios , I am not sure how quickly you update the imagery or how you plan to rotate your work. I would suggest a larger portfolio section.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would like to thank you all for taking the time to view the website and post your comments. I have noted all suggestions and I will slowly work on new improvements here and there. My busy show season has started, and I have to slowly make improvements.

I have already turned off the automatic slide show (for the gallery pages) which was very good advice. If I was a potential client, it would be frustrating if I did not understand how to shut it off.

I am working to change the "pop-up window" to "same window".

I love the music and it will stay. I have been showing this site to many non-photographer groups and everyone seems to enjoy the music.

Over the years, I have had many different websites with many different background colors. I have mainly used dark gray colors and they seem to work well. I just started using this dark brown and I am loving it. Although, I have noted some of you did not care for it as you thought is was harder to appreciate the work. I will look into this matter and see if my tastes on background color change over time.

Soon, I will add a couple of new portfolios and add new work throughout along with a stock/archive section. The current number of images on the site are about 25% of my edited work. I had to get this site up and running before my busy season gets too deep with work. So this number of images along with 20 more next next week will be it for awhile.

Thank you all very much, ALL comments are appreciated, even yours Mikeseb,

Shane Knight
    horse photography

Ps. rjas, you asked about the brown tone on the photographs. With some horse images, but not all, I love blown out detail and stark blacks using very dense negs making some of the photographs overall dark (and mysterious) and contrasty. We bleached 50%-100% and use Kodaks Sepia II (new and exhausted).

Also, depending on your monitor's color and density differences compared to mine when I was preparing the images for the website may portray the image inaccurately on your monitor. I match the images online to the hand-printed images the best I could. Most are very close.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Great work Shane. Your website is already one of those I bookmark, and I like the new layout. I'm not the least bit botherd by the Flash, in fact, I like Flash sites.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin