Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,913   Online: 779

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

I need some critiquing/feedback on new webite.

Howdy all!

I would like to invite critiques, feedback, and/or suggestions regarding my new website. Flash Player and high speed internet connection are required. After surveying a quite a few of my customers regarding internet availability and opinions; I have decided on Flash.

I understand some here on APUG do not like Flash and/or do not have a high speed connection; I also invite your/their opinions. I can understand why some do not like Flash for many reasons ex. large files, flashy designs, etc. I tried very hard to keep this website simple. Please let me know if you feel different.

If you will, please let me know the system, program, and type of connection you are using.

Thank you in very much for your time and opinion.

Shane Knight

www.shaneknight.com

horse photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hello Shane.
    I am one of those people who doesn't like flash.
    My connection is not that bad (2Mbs/640) and your site loads quickly
    its just that the flash slows down the navigation and I find that a tad tiring.
    The presentation is very nice though and I don't mind the music either
    which usually scares me off a site.
    One thing that it does is open its main window to full wide screen and since my d
    esktop resolution is 1920x1200, that's way larger than the actual website design.
    The photographs are incredible btw.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hi Shane. You've got some beautiful photos on your site. Although I don't like flash either, I will put up with it for good content - which you have lots of :-) The colour scheme, fonts and gallery layout work really well for me. Navigation is clear and everything is easy to find.

On the other hand I consider opening a new full size window "bad behaviour" for a web site and usually close it immediately and move on. I also loath web sites that play music - except iTunes of course! IMO music is a waste of bandwidth and almost always detracts from the real content.

So 10/10 for your photos. I would say 9/10 for your site, but with music and a popup window I can't go over 6-7/10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Knight View Post
    If you will, please let me know the system, program, and type of connection you are using.

www.shaneknight.com

horse photography
    Windows XP
    decent video card
    1600x1200
    32 bit color
    (hey, its a work machine)
    19" Sun Microsystems monitor (rebadged Sony trinitron I think)

After clicking the "enter" link, the page is too wide for my screen.
    I don't mind the flash if its the first time I visit the website, but if I wanted to check out new photos or look at your pictures again, it tends to get boring fast. Music, don't know, I have (need) headphones plugged in so I didn't hear any. But probably the same, if I hit your site 5 x in one day, I'm sure I"ll get tired of the music and flash.

Photos....just AWESOME.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey,

Really nice site. My moniter is 1024 x 768 and it looks great.

Would you mind sharing how you get that very brown look to your prints? Are some of your prints lith prints? Thanks

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wonderful images Shane and the design is very nice. The only problem I have is that the images change automatically and I can't fully appreciate the photograph, it changes too quickly.

Regards,
    Bill
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Beautiful!

I can live without the music, so I'm glad I could turn the sound off. Not that the music is bad, it's just I personally think it's not necessary.

Your work is fabulous.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hello Shane, I think the content is fantastic but, as Bill mentioned above, you might consider an higher interval for image visualization, they switch too fast IMHO.

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Medium Format

yikes!

Shane, your photography is outstanding. It speaks for itself, without further adornment.

That said, I detest music and motion graphics on photography websites. I want to explore such sites at my own pace, and I want to experience my own emotions while I do so. To me, having syrupy background music playing with faux-profound philosophical musings waxing and waning is almost like being told what to think or feel, when I just want to look at the d*** images! I also don't like the automatic slide-show progression; i'd rather have thumbnails to click on, and be able to click right/left or up/down arrows to scroll through a series of images.

I apologize if my candor is more than you bargained for. Be assured, I'm not attacking you personally, nor dissing your work--which as I said, is splendid. I just think the other stuff is a distracting sideshow for work of the quality of yours.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shane,
    I love your images! Great stuff as always. You really opened a can of worms asking for input here didn't you? The site is close, but a few points need to be looked at. Never pop a full window when opening a site, never. People hate that, not to mention some popup blockers will not allow it to work. A solution for this is to use a flash "sniffer" script that will redirect the end user to an html version or a flash version depending on the plug in installed.

Navigation is a little clunky, once I enter a portfolio I loose the ability to go to another portfolio. I have to go back to the portfolios link to see the other portfolios again. You should be able to go directly from one portfolio to another without having to back out to the portfolios link. Also tighten up the whole thing to be within 800x600 pixels. I know people say that monitors are bigger now, and they are (I even have two), but busy people multitask and have many windows open at the same time so keeping it at 800x600 will be optimal for all.

I would start off with the images static (no slide show) but give the user the option to view it as a slide show turning the music on when the show starts.

Hope it helps,
    D.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin