Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,859   Online: 904

Thread: Art Guilds

Shooter
    Medium Format

Art Guilds

There's a new art guild that's been started here in Castle Rock.
    I'm trying to decide if I should join.
    Now I was in photo clubs before, and really enjoyed them, but we were all photogs and had that in common.
    But this guild will contain all forms of artists, 2 and 3 dimensional.
    Has anyone ever been in one of these?
    What were your experiences.
    Thanks in advance for helping me to decide.
    DT

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've found that you can get some very useful information from non-photography related artists. Photographers, when encountered in groups, seem (to me) to gravitate toward technical issues while artists in other media tend to look more toward artistic commentary. I would certainly give it a shot as long as the membership costs are not prohibitive.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Dave,

I am a juried member of the Pennsylvania Guild of Craftsmen. It is one of the oldest guilds in the US and is a guild of Craftsmen. Photography in the Guild is considered as craft, but as far as I am concerned they are the only art form in the guild. Most of the members are potters or workers in porcelain or clay, wood workers, jewelers, fiber workers, glass workers, paper makers, paper cutters, etc. The Guild has about half a dozen Art and Craft Shows per year and many of the Chapters also have Art and Craft Shows. Additionally, the Guild also offers classes in different fields of craft (and are taught by the membership). I would say, that if it is not too expensive that it is worth the membership. Being a juried member carries some degree of prestige throughout the US.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Pardon me for getting off topic here, but Rich, I find it really facinating that you are part of a group like that. I've looked for a while for a similar group around where I live - I work with wood a fair bit as well as photography - but I've not found anything like what you just described - what an opportunity! Thanks for sharing that bit.

- Randy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I am primarily a serious amateur photographer, and find involvement in other artist's groups rewarding. It certainly should be worth investigating.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think that photographers have much to gain from involvement in and exposure to the other arts.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin