Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,792   Online: 839

View Poll Results: Would You Like a Purchasing Discount from Light Impressions?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have never used LI and their products.

9 7.89%
  • I have never used LI and their products and have no interest in a purchasing discount.

1 0.88%
  • I have never used LI and their products and have an interest in a purchasing discount.

10 8.77%
  • I have used LI and their products and have no interest in a purchasing discount.

4 3.51%
  • I have used LI and their products and have an interest in a purchasing discount.

90 78.95%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Light Impressions

Hi All

I attended Photo Plus yesterday and stopped by the Light Impressions (LI) booth, met John Sexton and also spent some time talking to Larry Proctor (last of the and my former account managers) at LI. Larry has given me the go ahead to post this information. I spoke with Larry regarding concerns and the fact that many of us (including many here at APUG) were Professional Photographers who had had accounts with LI. Last year they changed their practice much to the dismay to many of us. Larry told me that he was not in favor of what had happened, but he said had the changes not taken place, we would not have been talking yesterday (meaning they would be out of business).

Now, there has been another change to LI with a new President and they are having a new direction. Larry is in our court about what we want and what he would like to happen. He is in the process of changing things so that there will be a 2 tier system for Professional accounts the present one for bricks and mortar business with their $10,000 minimum order and a new second tier for those of us that are Pros that have our accounts reimplemented. Along with this change, I believe that he will push for our account agreement reimplemented for our time for payment.

I spoke with Larry about the possibility of offering a discount to APUG members as a collective group since there is a membership of about 17,000 and probably the lions share of the membership here in the US and Canada. Larry indicated that he would have no problem trying to implement a discount for all of the APUG membership. I will try to keep the members updated on this as things develop.

I am wondering however, how many of us here at APUG do or have used LI for a source of some or much of your framing needs. Please make any comments about this below.

I have included a poll for the discussion as well.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to use LI, but their service was poor. I won't use them again.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Exactly my experience. And their prices were just too high.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've used LI several times and not once have I had a problem. For the stuff I buy (and yes, I've compared numerous competitors) their prices are very much in line with the others.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There are certain products I have a very hard time finding from anyone else other than LI (8-ply mat board, in any size, let alone in 32x40 sheets, for example), and so I find myself forced to order from them. I do find their website rather confusing sometimes. I also find their knowledge (or lack thereof) of what is in stock at the time I order to be annoying. It is very frustrating to order things and find them indefinitely backordered, and only be apprised of this when the rest of your order arrives and it's marked on the invoice. If they could improve upon that, it would go a long way to increasing the volume of stuff I would order from them.

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Last time I ordered from Light Impressions they TOTALLY SCREWED UP!!!! I mean really bad, so much so I wonder how they can stay in business. Twice I had to return the wrong item, at their expense and ended up getting the items for free.

They make good products, do not buy from them, but try another outlet like Calumet.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Same experiance here, so no more for me..

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have apprised Larry Proctor of problems that have arisen for my orders and alluded to some that I know that others have had. I will direct him to this thread. I know that LI has been having some problems for some time. But I believe that Larry and the new President want to improve service and eliminate or at least minimize the problems that we have observed. Additionally, from what Larry had indicated their financial situation has improved since this time last year. They are also aware that they have probably lost millions of dollars of business since they changed their business practice last year due to the arrangements with their Pro accounts and problems and concerns that have been mentioned. They want to recover the business that they have lost. Larry has also indicated that he is in the process of a training program to better train those in the call center so that service will improve. I am also sure that they wish to have shipping problems resolved as well. Many of us have noted a decline in their service since they moved from Rochester to California.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't see a choice in the poll that would apply to me. I have used and continue to use LI products...pre-cut mats...and like them very much, but I don't buy in enough bulk to warrant any other than the occasional free shipping, or 15% discount that comes along every now and then. (Actually, I am waiting to order some mats until such an offer is made.) LI is the only place I've come across that offers some of the stuff I need, so I buy that from them, but in general, their prices are just too high. It's been an adventure to find alternatives, but they're out there. It's a tough decision, I guess, to price your merchandise high and lose some business, or cut the prices, do more business, but not make as much. I wish them well.

BTW, it was a pleasure to see them at PHOTOPLUS yesterday (Saturday) and meet John Sexton and see one of his actual prints. Yes, I'm buying the book.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    I didn't see a choice in the poll that would apply to me. I have used and continue to use LI products...pre-cut mats...and like them very much, but I don't buy in enough bulk to warrant any other than the occasional free shipping, or 15% discount that comes along every now and then. (Actually, I am waiting to order some mats until such an offer is made.) LI is the only place I've come across that offers some of the stuff I need, so I buy that from them, but in general, their prices are just too high. It's been an adventure to find alternatives, but they're out there. It's a tough decision, I guess, to price your merchandise high and lose some business, or cut the prices, do more business, but not make as much. I wish them well.

BTW, it was a pleasure to see them at PHOTOPLUS yesterday (Saturday) and meet John Sexton and see one of his actual prints. Yes, I'm buying the book.
    Hi John,

Part of the reason I did not include what you may be looking for in the poll is because the intent and what Larry and I have been discussing would apply to a discount at any time. That will be due to the potentially large number of orders coming from so many APUG members. Nothing has been indicated what that discount might be at this point. That is still something in the works and something that Larry and Light Impressions would have to determine. Once I hear what they would consider a discount rate I will report this. But, as I indicate, as far as I know this discount would apply to any purchase. It would probably be set up based on an account code specific to APUG members.

But, please feel free to respond to the poll. I do want Larry to read the thread and see the outcome to the poll. The total amount saved by an individual could be small or substantial depending upon you the individual and your purchases; but enough additional sales will certainly be welcomed by LI.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin