Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,714   Online: 801

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Which Dry Mount Board?

What kind of board to you dry mount your photos to?
    Foam core, gator board, mat board...
    How about when using a floating mount, and the mounting board will show through - do you prefer the surface of one board over another?
    In particular, I am going to be mounting B&W glossy fiber prints. Some warm tone and some cool tone.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Images
    Good Afternoon, Mike,

General practice is to use high-quality mat board, both for the mounting board and the cut-out overmat, but mounting photos has no hard and fast rules, so you can pretty much do whatever pleases you. The foam-core you mention is frequently used; just avoid anything with high-acid content.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnjunkie View Post
    What kind of board to you dry mount your photos to?

I use AlphaRag ArtCare mat board for dry mounting my photos. I prefer the surface and it is available locally. Some other brands of mat board I have tried seem to warp or bend some. I haven't had that issue with the ArtCare board.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I agree with Konical. I usually use four ply white 100% rag board for window mat and mount. While varying the color of the mat can enhance the image, using only white mats makes a cohesive display and permits economical quantity purchasing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For float mounts I think it is essential to have the mat and overmat be the same color board. I use Light Impressions pre-cut mats and they are of a piece even though the backing board is 2ply and the overmat is 4ply.

Be careful to consider the color of the mat. For me, selenium toned Ilford MGIVFB looks best with their Exeter board because the color is slightly warm as are the prints. When those elements clash (cold white with warmish print or other unsuccessful combination), prints don't look nearly as good as they could.

It might be a good idea to get a set of sample corners...even among a pallette of various whites...to be sure you are getting the optimum surface and color that will work the best with your prints.
    John Voss

My Blog

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i use a lot of 8ply boards and really like it.

i tried some form core board but didn't care for it and it was difficult to mount large prints to it and keep the edges secure. The form core is soft and created issues for me.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the advice, all.
    Do you find that when you are mounting to rag board that you need an additional backing behind it for rigidity?
    Mike

Images
    Good Evening, Mike,

You probably don't in most cases. That's especially true is you're also planning to frame the mounted photo.

But save any "less-than-perfect" fully-processed prints. A waste print the same size as your intended display print, mounted on the BACK of the board, virtually guarantees flatness.

Konical

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    depends on the size of the print.

anything larger than 11x14 i use a 4 ply backboard which is usually fine, larger prints need better back support , imho
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I use Alpharag Artcare White 4ply mount, and 4ply overmat. I drymount the print and overmat 1/2" around the print edge.

I only suggest using this mat board and nothing else.

View www.SuperiorArchivalMats.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin