Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,886   Posts: 1,520,667   Online: 1141

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67 View Post
    The second photographer showed two sets of three related subjects: the prints were flat (value-wise - very muddy), the mats all showed sloppy cuts at the corners, and one print even showed bubbles from using too little developer. In addition, on print had - and I apologize to the squeamish in advance - what I could only establish as a largish booger (bogey) attached to the surface of the print - under the glass.

Second example (today). I got a book on inter-library loan that was recommended by a friend. I noticed that at least two, and possibly more, of the prints exhibited what were clearly light leaks from the film holder. The pattern was the same on each print and it extended into what many people call the rebate.
    I'm shocked!...shocked I tell you that you don't recognize the inspired spark of individuality in the work of these two masters. Why it's my guess that they probably won highest honors in their BFA or MFA portfolios and are already on the road to major recognition for finding their own voices so early in their careers. It's we stick-in-the-mud traditionalists who would force these blazing individualists to conform to our stodgy old fashioned habits of clean, elegant presentations. Shame on us!! Shame!!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I would suspect that most on APUG recognize the need for the highest quality, otherwise we wouldn't be here - we would go with the flow of whatever is easiest.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    I'm shocked!...shocked I tell you that you don't recognize the inspired spark of individuality in the work of these two masters. Why it's my guess that they probably won highest honors in their BFA or MFA portfolios and are already on the road to major recognition for finding their own voices so early in their careers. It's we stick-in-the-mud traditionalists who would force these blazing individualists to conform to our stodgy old fashioned habits of clean, elegant presentations. Shame on us!! Shame!!
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I generally try to keep my bodily secretions out of the finished work.
    David,

I'm really glad to hear that, since I have some of your prints!

Everyone,

I too would only present the best that I could do, and if the shortfall is due to my own abilities that is one thing, but it seems inexcusable that someone would display something that was poorly crafted or damaged <cough> in any way due to what I can only attribute to carelessness/laziness. I have never created a masterwork print, but I certainly have never shown anyone something that I created that was not the best effort I was capable of at that time.

Mainly I just wanted to know if the standards were slipping in some way that I was not aware of, or if I was just expecting too much. This is not a student show but a showing of faculty work and as such, I would have thought that the bar would be set rather high. Perhaps not as high as a commercial gallery, but still...

- Randy

Shooter
    Medium Format

Convening a Meeting of the Codgers' Club

I'm relieved to discover that I'm not the only old fart here.

I've seen stuff displayed in hoity-toity galleries that was embarrassing to look at: bespeckled with dust, damaged print surfaces, unclean glass, damaged frames, and sloppily cut or even soiled mats. Not talking here about the odd dust mote that finds its way to the underside of the glass--those are one of God's little pranks I think. Once I see that sort of slovenliness I'm inclined not to bother further with the work.

I have a similar complaint about work of subpar technical quality. It seems I am expected to look past flaws of exposure, development, focus, and composition to "see" the artist's meaning yada yada yada. Strip away the art-school photobabble, and you're left with dreck. I always thought that mastery of technique was a given, so that nothing could stand between the artist's vision and the viewer.

I think it's about an ethos of consistently striving to do one's best, an old-fashioned value that this codger thinks is in short supply nowadays. Craftsmanship shows pride in the work and respect for the viewer. Why should I bother with the work of a photographer who shows me no respect?

My God I am such a codger--or is it curmudgeon? maybe both....
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Images
    I guess I am amazed that someone who would go to the effort of taking the picture and then actually developing it and even printing it would not take the extra effort to properly present it. Way too much time invested not to get it right. Afterall, if you take the thing and like it enough to print it, it would only seem that you'd finish it off right with a presentation that compliments and further highlights, and will last long after you are outta here.

I get to pick up the first of about twenty pictures I had professionally mounted, matted and framed tomorrow. (She can do it cheaper than I can buy materials it seems.) My office has generously made their entire interior wall space available to fill with my pictures. Every time someone walks around this place they'll be looking at my work. I would be embarassed beyond words if I not only didn't have them properly mounted and framed, but I will place each one at the best spot possible around the office to take advantage of lighting and wall length. Now if I could only get them to buy them and hang them permanently

Stew

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post
    Hi Travis,

That in my mind is foolish thinking. The archival products are not that much more expensive (mats, adhesives, tapes, packaging) than non archival materials. The buyer of course is the one that will benefit from less problem if the correct products are used in the long haul. So those who follow that train of reasoning are only interested in making as much money at the expense of their buyers.

Rich
    I totally agree. I have found that if I were to puchase non-archival mat board as opposed to my usual, I'd only save a few dollars per 100 boards purchased. Not that much in the grand scheme of things.

Besides, the archival boards, in general, just look better.

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One's DNA does not belong on one's prints.

I have shown my work in a number of venues and always only hang what I believe to be my best workt and I am meticulous about the details. I do it for me than for others as this is how I want my work presented. If I wanted boogers on it I would show it with boogers.

Cheers,
    Bill
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Showing this sloppy work is just like shopping at Walmart..most people just don't know the difference, any old crap will do. Do your best for you, not the audience and hopefully some of them will see...EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Boogers under glass=Mixed Media!
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin