Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,070   Online: 934

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Monitor calibration for website appearance

I could use some help... I need your eyes. I need you folks to pay a visit to my website and tell me if the majority of images look washed out.

I'm messing around w/ Adobe Gamma and monitor calibration today and can't figure out where my settings should be. However, I have noticed that when my monitor is brighter (brightness display and gamma settings), apug gallery photos show much more detail.... then my website looks washed out. Can you folks tell me what you see on your monitors when visiting my site...?

Monoco Color came with my scanner and I've tried using that to calibrate the monitor but, when the six black boxes come up and the program requests clicking on the box which shows the first clearly printed letter.... I see nothing. No letters anywhere... just black boxes. Can't figure out what's going on.

thanks,
    susan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes, the photos appear washed-out to me. Narrow range of tonality - mainly greys.

The non-photo parts (i.e. text) are fine.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Susan,

Yup, they're washed out. Not even a hint of black to be seen

Sorry, but I have no idea how to fix it...

Murray

Shooter
    35mm
    Depend on what you look at. Some of the landscapes look OK but the sky looks a little washed out. A lot seem to be shots where a range of tones are not likely to be there so it's difficult to judge. I'd want more "bite" but that's just my preference. Your log in water in the gallery is very flat and grey but produces a look that's unusual for water. It suits some subjects and some tastes. I was intrigued by the effect but wouldn't choose it for a print for my wall as it didn't fit my idea of water.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I would suggest that you try using a program called Quickgamma. It's free and does a much better job with this sort of problem than Adobe Gamma does.

- Randy

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Many images do not have a full scale. The black point appears to be set incorrectly. Others are OK. You can see it easily in the histogram. You don't need a calibrated monitor for that.
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Susan,

I agree the site looks flat. I tried Randys' "Quickgama" site and it perked up my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by reellis67 View Post
    I would suggest that you try using a program called Quickgamma. It's free and does a much better job with this sort of problem than Adobe Gamma does.

- Randy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    How many people here hate FrontPage as badly as I do ?????? I got 99% of the images switched and uploaded and they look quite a bit better. Feel free to visit the site again but, keep in mind that up to this point, all my web images were scanned on a crappy scanner as prints, not negatives. Thus the increased contrast. Two didn't take the reload after I tweaked everything in PhotoShop. And now....... after saving the web...... it appears that many images are missing ! Little scares w/ red "x's" in them where images used to be.... damn it all to hell.

I have got to get some sleep. I'll worry about this tomorrow.

Anyone know how Dreamweaver compares to FrontPage....? Or have a suggestion on a more intuitive website program.... preferably one that doesn't generate multiple thumbnail jpegs (i.e. - small - I, small - II, small - III, etc) seemingly by itself, save those images once in the appropriate image folder and again in the incorrect folder, AND randomly delete images that existed only moments prior ???? Argggggg.

g-night for now.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Susan,

They look great on the monitor I use for the internet, which means they must be washed out on a decent monitor: this monitor is FAR too dark and contrasty, even with the settings at the limits.

This is a major problem with web-sites: you don't know how anyone else's monitor is set. I use a big calibrated Iiyama to set up the pics, on another computer entirely, then upload/view with an isolated computer -- an admirable way to keep viruses under control.

Cheers,

R

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin