Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,772   Posts: 1,484,344   Online: 1199

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everyone seems to have some way to occupy their time.

Clay, if I had not met you I would worry about you.

However, your numbers seem to bear out what I have noticed as well, ebay is not a good place to sell art - or at least not generic ebay. My guess is selling prints on ebay, is like trying to sell prints to photographers :o

Everyone thinks that the price is to high, even though they will spend big more $$ than the new price of some items, photographs do not seem to one of those items. Have always wondered what the true sales numbers for prints are from a gallery....anyone know? Since a lot of folks seem to buy for the short term pleasure...something to hang on the wall for this year, it is not much of a surprise...cheap does best. After all how many really care if they own a plt/pld, carbon, tintype (vintage or new), etc? There are people who seem to make a living selling photographs...but I just don't know any.

Fun stuff Clay...sure makes the mind start to wander (wonder too!)
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think Mr.Callow has the right idea. You are not going to get rich off selling prints on Ebay but the return might be enough to keep you supplied in film or paper for awhile.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My experience is in line with all the above. Clay, I crunched the numbers for several weeks and had similar results. I've sold my prints for $50 bucks and it helped out on equipment, paper, and film. But after a couple years, I agree with Ryan and plan to price my sales in a similar range.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My wife sells prints I pass-on to her on eBay.. all palladium, all small (4.5 inches square on 6x8 inch pieces of paper unmounted. There are about 10 different ones that she rotates at a fixed price of $100 each. Same as the monthly print offer I make via my website. I thought it would be folly and not go anywhere, but she has sold over 50 of them since July.

Bill
    Last edited by billschwab; 11-18-2006 at 08:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill,when I was scrubbing the listings, none of your work showed up. I guess you haven't had any on in the last three weeks.

I hope no one takes this as some sort of rigorous analysis. As a case in point, I did not catch any of Bill's prints. I think your approach makes the most sense, though. Just figure out a minimum price you will accept, and make sure that it in no way cannabilizes your work sold through other venues.

It was an interesting exercise, though, and if you had asked me to make an estimate before I had done this, I probably would have incorrectly guessed both the average percentage sold and the average sales price.

How's Iceland shaping up?

Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    My wife sells prints I pass-on to her on eBay.. all palladium, all small (4.5 inches square on 6x8 inch pieces of paper unmounted. There are about 10 different ones that she rotates at a fixed price of $100 each. Same as the monthly print offer I make via my website. I thought it would be folly and not go anywhere, but she has sold over 50 of them since July.

Bill
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Clay,

Iceland going well. Working on the finals as we speak. You should have a letter tomorrow.

As for the eBay thing, I wasn't trying to mess with your numbers! I think you are right in that she hasn't made any listings in the last few weeks. I have to admit that we were surprised at the response to this and I have taken notice. As you said, the monthly offer and the ebay stuff doesn't seem to damage gallery sales of other work. In fact it has proved to help bring new collectors to galleries that represent the work by serving as an "introductory" kind of thing.

As for eBay, I think it is a viable way for a photographer to foster a following with or without absence of other venues. These are very changing times for the dealing of art. As collectors become more confident in obtaining work online it will be harder and harder for the traditional galleries. It is already happening. Certain galleries have become very adept at using the internet, but others are not doing so well. Just because you see what appear to be very successful galleries out there doesn't mean they are not riding on the edge of failure and bankruptcy. Much of the great work held in gallery inventories is that belonging to private collectors. Many collectors that would once consign work from their collection to a reputable gallery for sales now also sell on the internet. A shakeout is underway.

B.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

The thought that someone bought your print?

Priceless.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We could start a whole 'nother thread on the gallery world as it exists (I use the term 'exist' very loosely) today. I agree with you that the whole gallery scene is in chaos right now. Looking good and doing well are two entirely different things. A lot of good looking venues are on the brink.

I think your approach using the internet as an introduction to your work makes a lot of sense, especially since it does not cannabilize sales of your larger matted work.

I did this more as an exercise in seeing what the realities of ebay seem to be at the moment. I think that we are in a state of transition right now in the marketing of photographic works. The internet has saturated the world in images, and a lot of them are very good and relatively inexpensive. What that has done to the bricks and mortar gallery operations is not clear to me right now.

Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    Hey Clay,

Iceland going well. Working on the finals as we speak. You should have a letter tomorrow.

As for the eBay thing, I wasn't trying to mess with your numbers! I think you are right in that she hasn't made any listings in the last few weeks. I have to admit that we were surprised at the response to this and I have taken notice. As you said, the monthly offer and the ebay stuff doesn't seem to damage gallery sales of other work. In fact it has proved to help bring new collectors to galleries that represent the work by serving as an "introductory" kind of thing.

As for eBay, I think it is a viable way for a photographer to foster a following with or without absence of other venues. These are very changing times for the dealing of art. As collectors become more confident in obtaining work online it will be harder and harder for the traditional galleries. It is already happening. Certain galleries have become very adept at using the internet, but others are not doing so well. Just because you see what appear to be very successful galleries out there doesn't mean they are not riding on the edge of failure and bankruptcy. Much of the great work held in gallery inventories is that belonging to private collectors. Many collectors that would once consign work from their collection to a reputable gallery for sales now also sell on the internet. A shakeout is underway.

B.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clay View Post
    Total 'new' prints offered: 69
    Total 'new' prints sold: 12
    % sold of new prints offered: ~17%

Highest new print price: $96
    Lowest new print price: $29.99
    Average new print price: $63.62

Landscapes sold: 5
    Nudes sold: 3
    Still life florals sold: 4
    Clay - How many of those were by Ray Bidegain?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most of them, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Clay - How many of those were by Ray Bidegain?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin