Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,957   Online: 1114

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Kevin!

I was just trying to add some light there and meant no offence. I agree that low print prices don't do much for anyone considering the costs and effort that one can put into marketing work, but I do believe you have to start somewhere. You are very correct in saying that collectors aren't willing to put forth larger sums for unknowns or work of unknown quality, but it seems that many that sell on eBay do consistantly sell and develop their work and their efforts do seem to pay-off in the long run. I also tend to notice that collectors seem to have a sense of what to buy and it appears that they follow phtographers there just as they might in galleries and magazines. I mean no disrespect to anyone's work, but some of it just isn't up to saleable standards. It's not going to sell for $5.00 let alone $500.00. Perhaps I am way off, but it doesn't seem that cheaper work like this would step-on sales of higher priced/quality work.

As for those I have seen saying that it "cheapens" the work to have it sold on eBay, I don't believe that is true for a minute. I've purchased some great work on eBay.... masters and unknowns. I looks just as good on my walls coming from eBay as it does coming from any of the "higher" galleries. I have said it before and will continue to stand by the thought that eBay and artist website sales of work are going to give traditional galleries a serious run for their money. My advice is to keep at it and develop your brand wherever you can. As long as your work is good, it will pay off.

B.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    NO offense at all. I appreciate everything you say and respect it big time.

I just sent you a PM.

Thank you again,

Kevin
    Last edited by kjsphoto; 12-22-2006 at 12:05 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: cant type

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The last time I ran the numbers on ebay less then 9% of all self representing photographers even had bids. Of those that had been bid on the average going rate was $11 (high was around $97, and the low was $.99). I am by no means a cost accountant, but the last time I checked $35 for paper film chemistry etc + profit + ebay fees did not equal $11. Unless their is some trick to selling on ebay, only one half of one percent of photographers ever make a profit on ebay.

Chris

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh View Post
    I've crunched all the numbers just like you have here. As a print seller on Ebay, I understand the final percentage that they take, and agree that it's too much.

I think Ebay would be much better if they took a higher final value fee from people, rather than taking money just to list something.

That is really where Ebay is making all their money, from stupid people that make high priced auctions that will never sell.

I used to sell my prints for 50-75 dollars on Ebay, now I sell them for 175 and will soon be raising that to 250. My prints are selling just as well at the higher price as they were when they were lower.

I think all the other self representing photographers on Ebay need to raise their 40-75 dollar print price, as it's only hurting the photography market. There is no reason to be selling work for that cheep.

Ryan McIntosh
    www.RyanMcIntosh.net
    Ryan lets just face the fact. Your work is outstanding and that is why it sells. Not because it is on e-bay. great work will always sell more than average to above average work. Just the facts

mike andersen
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michael9793 View Post
    Ryan lets just face the fact. Your work is outstanding and that is why it sells. Not because it is on e-bay. great work will always sell more than average to above average work. Just the facts

mike andersen
    Well said. I agree with this statement 100%

Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin