Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,917   Posts: 1,556,416   Online: 1152

Shooter
    Medium Format

Print shipping...?

Do you ever worry about shipping your FB prints in the winter? Can a print in a cold UPS truck crack (or be otherwise damaged) over a weekend?

I've always been a little concerned w/ print damage due to cold temps when shipping. Just wondering if this has ever crossed anyone else's mind.

SusanK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Susan,

I work in color and do not use fiber base photo papers that are dry mounted. I do archivally mount Fuji Crystal Archive photos most of which are framed in wood. These are even stored in my trailer (which is stored in my garage between Art Shows) in all kinds of weather. The photos do adjust due to the humidity (including rain) and temperature. For my work, I am more concerned about the heat than the cold and that includes shipping orders left in FEDEX or DHL trucks in the heat. However, for all dry mounted images, the photo paper is under much more stress due to expansion, contraction, and flexing of the backing board, adhesive, and the photo paper itself.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I don't think it will damage FB paper. After all many people keep their unexposed paper in the freezer, and I also seem to remember some archival storage vaults designed by Wilhelm as being cold storage (and humidity) controlled.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Jon,

The concern isn't so much about the paper alone. The concern is for a dry mounted photo. That is what Susan is concerned about. The photo, the backing mat board and the adhesive all have different coefficients of expansion and contraction for changes in heat and humidity. The boards will also flex in the changes in heat and humidity. These changes do have an affect and will put stess on the photo paper.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks gentlemen. I appreciate your thoughts and reassurance. Hopefully the temp/humidity stress won't damage the print in transit.

I sold a print through my website yesterday and will be shipping it to New York.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin