Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,741   Online: 955

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    From the examples you've given, there seems to be no consensus on whether light or dark is the way to go.

I do like dark backgrounds for the purpose of making the image standout from the screen. But any potential buyer will likely be trying to visualise how it would look hanging on their wall. Their wall is not likely to be black or dark grey. Infact glleries usually use a white mount and have white walls. So why do we use black or dark grey in a website? The dichotomy is, are you trying to make it look its best on screen, against, are you trying to give the best impression of how it will look when hung. The best answer would be to know which generates the most sales and for that I will have to wait and see what happens when its finished and indexed.

For now I've compromised on a mid tone background with white white foreground and image laid on that.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by percepts View Post
    From the examples you've given, there seems to be no consensus on whether light or dark is the way to go.

I do like dark backgrounds for the purpose of making the image standout from the screen. But any potential buyer will likely be trying to visualise how it would look hanging on their wall. Their wall is not likely to be black or dark grey. Infact glleries usually use a white mount and have white walls. So why do we use black or dark grey in a website? The dichotomy is, are you trying to make it look its best on screen, against, are you trying to give the best impression of how it will look when hung. The best answer would be to know which generates the most sales and for that I will have to wait and see what happens when its finished and indexed.

For now I've compromised on a mid tone background with white white foreground and image laid on that.
    Some galleries that specialize in Black and White photography will have gray walls, or something like a light chocolate color. It makes the photographs stand out better and really look strong under the gallery lighting. Ansel Adams explains it in his book "The Print".

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 12-10-2006 at 02:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quite impressed with the style. Love the images!

What software are you using to build the site?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    it's hand coded by me using dreamweaver's code editor, not its wysiwyg editor. The exception is the blog which I've just added which uses wordpress for which I built a template from my base design again using dreamweavers code editor. The blog is primarily to allow people to comment on the images but as yet I've only set up one entry for "rock study" in archives.
    Much more to do yet.

I think you can buy just the code editor called homesite or something like that but using the full dreamweaver version has a lot of other benefits such as global search and replace and site management, ftp etc.

A lot of people are now going down the microsoft path with the advent of free Web Expression software development tools. But that means using ASP and not PHP if you want server side scripting and it generates aspx files which you would need an isp running MS IIS instead of Apache or one of its variants (I think).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for Dreamweaver. I used Homesite for years, long before Macromedia boought it. I am hooked on Dreamweaver.

I need to find some nice, free, PHP blogware for my site.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Another vote for Dreamweaver. I used Homesite for years, long before Macromedia boought it. I am hooked on Dreamweaver.

I need to find some nice, free, PHP blogware for my site.
    http://www.wordpress.org/

php and mysql required on your isp. many free templates available but if you know a little php and have built a decent site using xhtml, then its straight forward enough to make your own template. There is a bit of learning curve to be able make your own template but its not difficult as I just found out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cool. Thanks. I didn't know wordpress was free.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi

Just had a whizz through and am using Safari and OSX, therefore probably the hardest way to view, but strength of pictures ensured that I persisted!

Some great images and of great relevance as I am staying near Mothecombe over New Year. First time in that area for donkeys years and certainly with the camera. I will struggle to get such inspired pictures, but nice to know what to aim for!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Looks good Robert.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Baxter,
    As I guess you know, Mothecombe is right on the Erme Estuary so you should have plenty of great photo opportunities.
    Check out the Ship Inn at Noss Mayo for good food and many more photo ops on that estuary.
    Last edited by percepts; 12-25-2006 at 12:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Percepts,
    An old dog learning new tricks...

Black and White Landscape Prints

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin