Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,896   Posts: 1,521,005   Online: 797

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Website Critique please

Hi,
    I've been building my website for a looong time and each time I do a design, I end up becoming disatisfied with it after tweaking it a few times. The biggest thing I worry about is whether it should be on a light or a dark background which gives a different mood. Anyway, here is where I am currently and I would appreciate some feedback on the design and whether its too dark. The content requires a lot of input yet and the images which are there are of low quality because they've been resized several times during design. So it really is the design layout and navigation that I'm looking to get feedback on.
    Oh, and its designed for selling prints directly to the public and not just for galleries or interest.

http://www.visualperception.net/

Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hello.

I think it looks good and it seems to load quickly which is always a good thing.

I personally do not like the thumbnail image disappearing and being replaced with the picture title when you hover the mouse over it.

I do like the option of viewing the picture in a frame.

I'm never too sure about the background colour either. I think the dark grey you are using works well. Mine is white at the moment but I often experiment with different options.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,
    I Like the colors you are using. It gives a very proffesional look in my opinion. The navigation on the other hand I think is a bit confusing. When Im at the homepage there is a bar on the left and at the top. maybe it is a idea to start with the bar at the top and put then the sub menu's at the left.

Reinder

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I think your design for the site is rather unique and some of the features, like mouse over titles, different. However, it takes some getting used to find all the pictures, the fonts are too small. I do like your choice of colors. One or two of your pictures seemed weak. Keep it simple and navigable.

You have a fine site in the making. Still no substitute for imagery. Check out Bruce Barnbaum's site as a comparison. Very simple, but great images.

Constructive feedback is very helpful when designing a site.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One more thing, the viewer (potential buyer) needs to fill a form to contact you and wait for your answer?

A bit weird IMHO!

Cheers

André

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for comments so far.

I can make text 1 point bigger but how small it is is dependant on your screen resolution. i.e. high res and it will look small.

Odering does not require me to respond before it can be done. Providing that you are in UK, a EURO currency country or the USA. If you are anywhere else, then yes, it will require a response from me to supply the shipping cost to wherever you are. Perhaps my choice of words on the order form are confusing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't like the thumbnail disappearing in favor of titling during mouseover and I think you need some clearer navagation to return to your galleries when viewing an image in a frame.

Other than those nitpicks, I think the design is beautiful and employs some very original design features. Good use of CSS. Are you using iFrames?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    None of your small displayed prints enlarge for reasonable viewing. No one has commented about this so maybe your site isn't OS X friendly?

Agree with others that your partially duplicated navigation prompts are confusing, and just a little too small. Also think the grey background is too gloomy, a couple of notches lighter would eliminate this feeling. Overall though, a clean and classy look that will only improve as you fine-tune.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    No iframes being used.

Not working in OS X concerns me. Difficult for me to test since I only have access to a PC. Please can you tell me which browser and version you are using on OSX and also whether the thumbnail image changes to a text title when you rollover it.

anyone else on MAC got this problem?

thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the background is a little dark, perhaps somewhere between where you are now and a darker dove gray would brighten things enough. I would stay toward the darker rather than towards white. One thing I notice is the copyright line with the red toggle info. appears on every screen which is over the pages info.. To me this is distracting. I don't have a problem with the title when the mouse is over the photograph, I haven't seen this before so it may be distinctive to your site. I like the site overall, and think you are well on your way, excellent work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin