Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,926   Posts: 1,522,124   Online: 795

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you every one for your input so far. The comments and suggestions thus far have been very helpful. It is interesting to know what different persons take notice of. I am talking it all under consideration, as the site continues to develop. My goal is to have it "finished" by Jan 1. (It will in a sense, undergo continuos evolution.)

It is most gratifying that folks seem to like the basic design and navigation, and that most comments are directed towards incomplete areas, or content, or small technical issues. It tells me I am on the right track, at least.

Thanks again, and please keep the comments comming.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoHistorian View Post
    Jason,
    Nice beginning to your website. Clean design and easy to naviigate as others have already noted. In the, About the Print section, you used as much space in the first paragraph telling the viewer what your work "ISN'T" as you did telling them what it "IS." Your use of traditional photgraphy is fine, just don't beat a dead horse over the non-digtal issues. 99% of those visiting will see "traditional photography" and know immediately your approach.
    Good luck!
    Walker
    That I'm not so sure of, based on my interactions with non photographers,
    and unfortunatly, some who call themselves photographers. So many today seem floored, when they find out I don't use computers or printers. I had one young person come to the darkroom, to see for sure, for their self. Didn't believe it was possible.

Are you saying that anyone that matters will know the difference, and I should disregard the ignorant, as they probably don't care anyway?

Its a good insight, and my aproach to this, regarding the "about the prints" is the text that I am least sure of.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Regardless of whether visitors to the site will or will not understand traditional photography, Walker has a point.

I assume that your site is aimed toward a broad audience, and not just the type of folks we find here on APUG. If not aimed toward a broad audience, ignore my comments below.

The "about the print" section comes off a bit negative. You say a lot about what the prints are not, but don't speak to the tonal range, luminosity, texture, etc, etc. All of this may be obvious to those who understand and appreciate silver-based photography, but not to everyone. And even if they do understand, I think you want to be more positive (i.e. why your prints are better, not that others are worse). So you can leave in your current points, but balance them with the positive.

You might want to add some comments on contact printing and the implications it has for the creation of the original image.

I'd even go as far as to state the obvious - that no computer screen can fully convey the subtleties of the real image. My 2 cents.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi
    I like the design to but the pictures are to small in my opinion!
    And I learned never to show a homepage bevor it is finished!
    I now "pissed" because I used my time to look at something which is not finished yet! ;--))
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnArs View Post
    Hi
    I like the design to but the pictures are to small in my opinion!
    And I learned never to show a homepage bevor it is finished!
    I now "pissed" because I used my time to look at something which is not finished yet! ;--))
    Well spoken, but it is listed here for input and comment from you folks, who are my peers, before I would waste time heading down the wrong road.

I believe I have chosen a good layout and design, (the right road) and will now finish out the details.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    Regardless of whether visitors to the site will or will not understand traditional photography, Walker has a point.

I assume that your site is aimed toward a broad audience, and not just the type of folks we find here on APUG. If not aimed toward a broad audience, ignore my comments below.

The "about the print" section comes off a bit negative. You say a lot about what the prints are not, but don't speak to the tonal range, luminosity, texture, etc, etc. All of this may be obvious to those who understand and appreciate silver-based photography, but not to everyone. And even if they do understand, I think you want to be more positive (i.e. why your prints are better, not that others are worse). So you can leave in your current points, but balance them with the positive.

You might want to add some comments on contact printing and the implications it has for the creation of the original image.

I'd even go as far as to state the obvious - that no computer screen can fully convey the subtleties of the real image. My 2 cents.
    Well, your and Walker's 2 cents are priceless as far as I am concerned. Very good advice, and spot on. Much appreciated.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Jason,

One minor navigation issue...when you click on a thumbnail inside one of the themed galleries (Still Lifes, Landscapes, etc.) to get the bigger image, there doesn't seem to be a way to get back to the themed gallery. I'd have to click on the gallery link on the left, then select the themed gallery to get back to the thumbnails. I know I can use the browser's back button, but it would be nice to have the navigation built into the site, an "Up" button or something similar.

I agree with the previous poster about the full-size images being a bit on the small side, but to be honest I wouldn't have noticed it if someone hadn't said something earlier.

You've got some great work posted so far and I'm anxious to see your site when you have the galleries populated.

- Robert
    "Photograph more, worry less"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really like the layout and design of your website and can't wait to see the galleries full of your images.

Great job

Gord

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kerwin View Post
    Jason,

One minor navigation issue...when you click on a thumbnail inside one of the themed galleries (Still Lifes, Landscapes, etc.) to get the bigger image, there doesn't seem to be a way to get back to the themed gallery. I'd have to click on the gallery link on the left, then select the themed gallery to get back to the thumbnails. I know I can use the browser's back button, but it would be nice to have the navigation built into the site, an "Up" button or something similar.

- Robert
    Great suggestion! Underway. I also redid the "about the prints section" much better now. Thanks also to John (The Banana) who pm'd help with grammar.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 12-08-2006 at 08:23 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: can't spell for s#!* LOL!!!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "Grammar"! Sheesh, my work is never done
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin