Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,070   Online: 1222

Shooter
    Medium Format

lighting an exhibition space

Greetings,

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this--

I will have an exhibition in the spring of my father's photography, and it will be in a "parlor room" in an old, but stylish building.

Since the space is not set up to be a gallery, there is no track/spot lighting available. If the weather is good, there will be natural light for about half the lenght of the room.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to light a room like this, in order to enhance the images displayed on the wall?

It may be possible to use some type of clip-on spots attached to a pipe on the ceiling.

Thanks in advance--

Best wishes,

Ned Otter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by notter View Post
    Greetings,

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this--

I will have an exhibition in the spring of my father's photography, and it will be in a "parlor room" in an old, but stylish building.

Since the space is not set up to be a gallery, there is no track/spot lighting available. If the weather is good, there will be natural light for about half the lenght of the room.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to light a room like this, in order to enhance the images displayed on the wall?

It may be possible to use some type of clip-on spots attached to a pipe on the ceiling.

Thanks in advance--

Best wishes,

Ned Otter
    You are obviously aware of spotlights on tracks and the type of lighting they create. If you can't actually use these, you need to find the closest alternative, which would almost certainly be temporary exhibition boards on stands, to which you can then fix lights. From the point of view of convenience, I think this would be the preferred option. If there are any suspension points on the ceiling, you may be able to make a kind of lighting rig such as a horizontal board of reasonable length to the underside of which you can fix lights, but don't even think about this unless you have at least 4 mounting points available for wires plus 2 for safety chains (possibly the safety code for the venue may demand more than this). The whole object in any case needs to be to get the lights high enough to avoid glare and far enough away from the pictures to light evenly.

Best regards,

David

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the reply, David. I really appreciate it.

Any idea where "temporary exhibition boards on stands" can be found? Is there a company that manufactures such items, or are they usually home-grown?

Thanks,

Ned

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    look around for some artist's easels or go to an office supply place and see what they have in the way of easels for whiteboards/newsprint tablets. They may or may not be affordable, but that's the kind of thing you need. If you're a really handy DIY'er, you can make something rather simple in a cruciform configuration with a rail on the bottom of the arm, an x-type base, and lean the upper part back at a sligt angle so you don't have to clamp the top of the frame as well. Then you have something to which you can clamp a mini-spot light of some kind.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by notter View Post
    Thanks for the reply, David. I really appreciate it.

Any idea where "temporary exhibition boards on stands" can be found? Is there a company that manufactures such items, or are they usually home-grown?

Thanks,

Ned
    Don't know where you are located, Ned, but if it's in or near a major city, you should be able to find a company that rents exhibition equipment - they may do this more for business conferences and trade fairs than art exhibitions, but they will have the kind of gear that you need. Hopefully Yellow Pages will provide an answer!

Regards,

David

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin