Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,234   Online: 833

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

CAlling everyone from the UK, is this real??

I got this e-mail and wondered if this a real gallery and is there a catch??? I 'm always skeptical of anything in my e-mail.

"Dear Gay,

My name is Siobhan and I am contacting you from the Saatchi Gallery here in London.
    Whilst searching the web I came upon your site and was impressed by the high standard of work.

I would like to tell you about a new development here at the Saatchi Gallery. We have created a new resource entitled "Your Gallery" that allows artists to post their work and information on The Saatchi Gallery site. You have your own page which you can update as much as you wish. You can post up to eight images, biographical information, information about your art, as well as your contact details and website address. This is not a transaction site and there is no fee, we have created this to assist artists in raising their profiles.

Curators, collectors as well as the thousands of visitors we get everyday have the opportunity to view your work.
    I would like to invite you to post your work onto the site. If you are interested please visit: http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/yourgallery/ or e-mail me siobhan@saatchigallery.com for more information.

With kindest regards,
    Siobhan
    Saatchi Gallery
    http://www.saatchigallery.com
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Gay,

I received an email like that also, the gallery in question is a 20 year old one in London and as far as I know, with good reputation!

Cheers

André

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    its a real gallery alright. Saatchi is one of the big modern art collectors famous for taking work from complete unknowns and making them massive. And anyone can post work at their site. But every art student in the country is trying to get their work taken up by Saatchi. If you have received a personal request for submission of work I would be surprised since they will be receiving so many unsolicited submission pieces. It is far more likely a targetted mailing but there's no harm in following up anyway. Email the woman and ask for more information.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A whois domain check says they are the real email and website addresses of the Saatchi Gallery in Eaton Square. Do not be worried about the different domain names in the email address Vs the website address (I was when I saw it!) - they own both domains.

However: I think this is mainly spam: anyone can upload 6 items of their work to their online gallery - you do not need their permission.

Cheers, Bob.

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have received a few requests from this gallery and have not responded. I am always suspicious of unsolicited requests.

Cheers,
    Bill
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've had several too - after the third, I sent a reply asking if this was spam, and siobhan replied to say it wasnt ... however, it's not an invite to submit to the saatchi collection, but to upload some pics onto their website, which anyone can do at any time. The selling point is that Saatchi reckon lots of important people will be viewing the galleries there - a point to wich I am sceptical as there will be a lot of dross for them to wade through if they are searching for new talent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    mm weird because i've got also the mail from this gallery. I was worried because I think my work is not of that high standard a gallery would look for. someting in me say's "watch out" but why i just don't know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems they might have been trolling the APUG site for web page references and emailing SPAM to each one. Sean should be made aware.

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Oh, rats. And here I thought I was something special and that fame and fortune would soon follow. I, too, was skeptical and my web research pretty much confirms what everyone else has found. I might upload some photos on a lark, just because. With 15,000 artists on the site getting any attention at all would be a near miracle.

There is one good thing accomplished from this exercise. I did learn the correct pronunciation of Siobahn. Not a name we see very often in the Southeastern US.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lipka View Post
    There is one good thing accomplished from this exercise. I did learn the correct pronunciation of Siobahn. Not a name we see very often in the Southeastern US.
    Not a name we hear much in the UK either and some of us still can't quite work out how it gets its pronunciation! Or is it just me?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin