Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,703   Posts: 1,482,674   Online: 746

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Makes more sense above, as you avoid the potential risk of needing to scroll to get to the next image.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    Makes more sense above, as you avoid the potential risk of needing to scroll to get to the next image.
    I'm probably going to limit thumbnails per page, so that wouldn't happen anyway and since that means only one row of thumbnails on the initial gallery listing, the change I made will probably be moot anyway.

I appreciate the feedback.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, what an excellent employment of the available space. I like it, all the little touches especially.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Everyone has been very helpful with my design, so I'll throw my 2 cents in here. I like it very very much. Except one thing. All that white. Visually, white is the color that the eye is drawn to first, in any finite visual pattern. I would rather be drawn your images first. Thats just my opinion FWIW.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Everyone has been very helpful with my design, so I'll throw my 2 cents in here. I like it very very much. Except one thing. All that white. Visually, white is the color that the eye is drawn to first, in any finite visual pattern. I would rather be drawn your images first. Thats just my opinion FWIW.
    Interesting. I think of white as analogous to using white mats and mounts.

What would you recommend as an alternative?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Interesting. I think of white as analogous to using white mats and mounts.

What would you recommend as an alternative?
    Keep in mind this is only my opinion. A white mat serves to draw the eye to the print, which is why they are so ubiquitous. A white border would serve the same purpose, so white isn't bad to use at all.
    I just think the preponderence of white is a detracting element, where a more neutral color would serve to "pop" the images, that you might or might not want to have a white border on. Again, just my opinion, and we all know what those are like.

I don't use a white border on the images on my site mostly because I was interested in the least possible visual clutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've made some adjustments so that the thumbnails and the associated navigation don't change position when moving between the gallery listing page and the image view page. So when you click on a thumbnail on the listing page, it appears that you're on the same page and all that happens is the large image and the instruction to click on the large image for the full-sized popup, appear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just rebuilt the entire site so that it's all CSS. The only tables on the site are the ones generated by the gallery (no, there still aren't any real galleries up). The site should be far more browser-compatible now. The only things that don't fully validate are the iframes attributes because I need to change the doctype from strict to transitional (geekspeak), and some really sloppy table-building done by an otherwise happy-making gallery app that was free (so hey...).

I'd be grateful for reports of any browser issues anyone comes across.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    IE6 on W2K the content div jumps down the page so its below the flag div.

there's some strange code in your css. The flag div is specified as 76px high but it contains the nav which is specified much bigger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll have to find that platform in order to see what you're seeing. I still have IE6 on an XP box but not on W2K. I have the awful IE7 on this box and one cannot revert. The content div is supposed to be below the flag div and with positioning, there's no reason a larger div can't be nested in the code, within a div that's smaller.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin