Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,219   Online: 1058

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah, I see what I did. Thank you for catching a mistake for me. Now the rendering is much more similar for Firefox 1.5 and IE7 on XP Pro. How is it looking on IE6/W2K now?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    that fixed it.

Also noticed on IE6 W2K the biography page has horizontal scroll bars showing in the iframe.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    I'll have to find that platform in order to see what you're seeing. I still have IE6 on an XP box but not on W2K. I have the awful IE7 on this box and one cannot revert. The content div is supposed to be below the flag div and with positioning, there's no reason a larger div can't be nested in the code, within a div that's smaller.
    Ah but you can run just the IE6 rendering engine.

go here and get what you need for testing: http://browsers.evolt.org/

amazing how small the core browser software is compared to the full installation.

its the standalone version you want unless your on a mac in which case maybe not.

its the standalone versions you want.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    something you should know if you don't already.

place your cursor inside one of the frames such as on the biography page.
    right click and select `add to favourites` from the context menu.

Now go to your favourites and click on the new favourite you just created.

you will get a page with just the content of the iframe and that is how the search engines will index your site. i.e. they create links to individual html files and not just the containing html file. That means that people may find a page in google etc and link to it and get a page with no possibility of navigation to the site proper. This is why iframes and framesets are not such a good idea.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not married to using the iframe. It's an experiment. I'm still rolling that one over in my mind.

Thanks for the tip about the rendering engine!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    the way you've written it is not using iframes as intended.

The intention is to use the name attribute in the iframe tag. e.g. name="myframe" and then when you link to a page which should be in the iframe you give the target attribute of the a tag, the name of the iframe. e.g target="myframe". That way you only need the one html file with menu on it and all the detail pages go in the iframe.

But since iframes are not good for the reason I gave you and you have coded a new containing page for each iframe, then you can just make the iframes a div instead and it should look and work just like it does now. You just put the content in the div instead of creating iframe content pages.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by percepts View Post
    But since iframes are not good for the reason I gave you and you have coded a new containing page for each iframe, then you can just make the iframes a div instead and it should look and work just like it does now. You just put the content in the div instead of creating iframe content pages.
    I originally wrote it as a div. I'm trying out the iframe to eliminate the need to scroll the page. Other options are to break the content into shorter, discrete pages or to just quit worring about scrolling. If the pages all had varying vertical dimensions I wouldn't care but right now, only the biography page forces vertical scrolling at browser widths of 800 pixels or more. One thing I very much wanted to avoid is having to scroll to view all of an image..like in the APUG galleries...which I really hate.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    I originally wrote it as a div. I'm trying out the iframe to eliminate the need to scroll the page. Other options are to break the content into shorter, discrete pages or to just quit worring about scrolling. If the pages all had varying vertical dimensions I wouldn't care but right now, only the biography page forces vertical scrolling at browser widths of 800 pixels or more. One thing I very much wanted to avoid is having to scroll to view all of an image..like in the APUG galleries...which I really hate.
    well if thats the case then what you need to consider is that approx 10% of people are still on 800x600 screen res, 40% on 1024x768 and the other 50% higher res. Given that, you need to consider whether its worth doing for the lower 10% who are rapidly becoming a smaller %age everyday. I took the view 1024x768 is the lowest common dominator and sized my images accordingly. At that resolution you get a max of about 600px window height inside your browser before scrolling will be necessary and I make all my images 400px high or smaller if they are panoramics so they fit the width and height in my container div.

Then I defined my container box at 1000px wide by 560px high and went from there defining most things inside the container with absolute positioning rather than relative which you are currently using by default.

You can have scrollling inside a div. Just define it as absolute with overflow=auto. But when you define it as absolute you must specify both height and width and ( top or bottom) and ( left or right)

correction, it doesn't have to be absolute, it can be relative. just specify overflow=auto
    Last edited by percepts; 12-24-2006 at 08:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. My site is designed for 1024x768. I just made a minor and successful effort to avoid vertical scrolling down to at least 800 wide. It was an afterthought and didn't involve compromising the 1024 design.

Thanks for the information about scrolling in a div, now that's something I didn't know!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well that turns out to be something good to know but not workable in this implementation because the requirement to set a width, even if it's auto or a %, messes with the vertical stretchiness of the design. For now, I'm making the content div height:auto and min-height:390px. It only effects one page now but if I add the blog I'll need vertical flexibility anyway.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin