Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,275   Posts: 1,660,894   Online: 862

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

yet another website critique request

No images yet...I decided I had this design at a stage where I'd like to get some feedback before I take it any further and while I search for the best domain name....

http://www.smallproblem.com/photosite/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At this point it seems a little sparse to get the whole picture, but it appears to be a clean, straight-forward framework. That appeals to people like myself who tend toward the minimalist approach to things like web design.

DaveT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I agree with Dave, I also like the clean, minimalist look.

Looks good so far, get some images on there!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You have avoided mistake 101, i.e. Flash, and that's a very good thing. Otherwise I think the design is minimal (which I appreciate) and easy to understand/use.

Maybe one thing you should consider is that the back/forth arrows under the pictures move according to the picture's size. You should keep them at a fixed position, so that people can browse to the next picture without having to re-aim their pointer all the time. Moving UI elements are very frustrating, and while they're everywhere, polishing that small detail makes a difference.
    Last edited by Michel Hardy-Vallée; 12-13-2006 at 08:47 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Verified a detail on the site
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    Maybe one thing you should consider is that the back/forth arrows under the pictures move according to the picture's size. You should keep them at a fixed position, so that people can browse to the next picture without having to re-aim their pointer all the time. Moving UI elements are very frustrating, and while they're everywhere, polishing that small detail makes a difference.
    If I understand what you're saying, this should be fixed now. If it's not, then I'm not sure what you're saying. Could you clarify?

There will likely be some minimal widening or narrowing as the kerning of the associated text changes between "picture" and "pictures" and the numerals change.

I'm going into the code to change "picture" to "image."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    If I understand what you're saying, this should be fixed now. If it's not, then I'm not sure what you're saying. Could you clarify?

There will likely be some minimal widening or narrowing as the kerning of the associated text changes between "picture" and "pictures" and the numerals change.

I'm going into the code to change "picture" to "image."
    Oh sorry about the wording; yes, it's something I would recommend to fix. The arrows should stay put regardless of the size of the picture.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh sorry about the wording; yes, it's something I would recommend to fix. The arrows should stay put regardless of the size of the picture.
    Gotcha. Do they now?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, I'm still seeing arrows at different places, so let's make sure we're talking about the same ones.

* Click on Gallery in the right hand side menu
    * Click on Gallery A
    * I see Tux with back/forth arrows below him, so I put a post-it on my screen where they are
    *Click on browser's back button
    * Click on Gallery B
    * I see two B&W Tuxes, and the arrows below it are not where I put my post-it.

Makes sense?

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, I'm still seeing arrows at different places, so let's make sure we're talking about the same ones.

* Click on Gallery in the right hand side menu
    * Click on Gallery A
    * I see Tux with back/forth arrows below him, so I put a post-it on my screen where they are
    *Click on browser's back button
    * Click on Gallery B
    * I see two B&W Tuxes, and the arrows below it are not where I put my post-it.

Makes sense?
    Ye, I understand now. The difference you're seeing is due to the fact that the sample thumbnail in Gallery A has not been normalized to my standard height dimension. If it were, there would be no change. But even if it were, you may find this implementation problematic. All the galleries will be different because they will not all contain the same number of images, therefore, they will not all have the same number of rows of images. The navigation within a gallery will appear below however many rows there are so the verticle position of the navigation will shift accordingly. the horizontal position should remain constant.

The ideal solution would involve placing that in a fixed position that would be independant of the number of rows of thumbnails. I'd have to look at the complexity of hacking the code to accomplish that. I'm not optimistic about that. Moving it above may be the simplest way to go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I moved it above.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin