Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,240   Online: 1005

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ok re-did my website from scratch... is it better?

Thank you all for giving me feedback on my website. I've spent all day today re-doing it, and I hope it's better. I found a little program called JAlbum which did a very good job at laying the skeleton of the site for me to build on.

Is it better? If this is your first visit, is it good? I'm going to try to make the white strips gray on the b&w photography, so that the white line doesn't show between the carrier line and the web page.

the site is www.avillez.com

Thanks,

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, getting rid of those white strips would take forever... is it worth it? My laziness says no, what about your eye?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I prefer this design, Andre. Seems cleaner, and the background color works well. I still had to scroll down a bit to see the Sertao portfolios, but the rest worked fine. Could see the photo and the arrow button, which is all I ever want to see when I'm looking through a web portfolio. If you have the time and patience to get rid of the white strips, it may well be worth it. Sometimes, what works on paper prints, doesn't always translate well to a web presentation.

One tweak... when I opened up the motorcycles, it started me on picture number 9 of 10, so I went through it backwards. Not sure if I did something wrong or not?

Also, I think some of the portfolios would look stronger with some tighter editing. Under portraits, you might think about deleting one of the two dog portraits, and in landscape, the cans or bottles in the pond look repetitive, pick the one you think is the strongest. Oh... and the one color image seems a bit out of place. It's a great image, but it such an about face from the rest of the portfolio.

Also, an "about the photographer..." page is a good idea to have.

2 cents
    Last edited by SuzanneR; 12-27-2006 at 07:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agree with Suzanne, looked at it last night and now this morning...the latest version looks very good Andre. It seems to flow better for me...which translates into I would visit again.

Nice to see all your work in one place....looks great as always.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Big step forward!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Looks good Andre. Is that portrait under Motorcyles also painted with light?
    If you can't answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.
    - Elbert Hubbard

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    MUCH better! The new site look is cleaner, more consistent, and it allows you to get a feel for your body of work. It also allows for diversity of style in the body of work, so that the color and the b/w stuff don't clash.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Big improvement.
    Percepts,
    An old dog learning new tricks...

Black and White Landscape Prints

Shooter
    35mm
    No problem with the motorcycles at my end. All opened in the right order. The site's galleries seem easy to navigate.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good deal...

Suzanne, thanks for the suggestions on the editing. I'll work on that soon.

Peter,

The portrait is also painted with light, and I learned a lot while shooting it. Hopefully it's the first of many... Actually, I have a few more bikes lined up to shoot (including some big racing team bikes), and I'll try to include portraits in as many shoots as I can. I'll bring some prints next time we meet... should be a reasonable portfolio by then

Ok, I'm off to improve the site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin