Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,604   Online: 802

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dear Daniel,

First, I have no idea what you're talking about. My portrait website photo of myself in action shows me with a medium format Bronica SQ-Ai (see attached). It's not 35mm.

Secondly, I would like to know why you believe it's the equipment that's important? Do you really believe that the camera makes the photo? It's not the EQUIPMENT that should set apart a really gifted professional photographer; it's what he/she does with it! It's the eye that matters.

I cannot stress that enough.

When you go to a fine restaurant and really enjoy the food, do you first enquire of the chef what kind of pans he uses? If he uses the same kind you do, does it make the food worse? It's a silly argument.

You can find a $5000 portrait session strange all you want, in any case, but it does not make it less true. There are many, many people who have and are willing to spend the money for the kind of work that can't get anywhere else. If the photographer is truly good at what he/she does and is truly unique in his style, people will recognize that.

- CJ

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_OB View Post
    Cheryl
    However Cheryl I would like to ask you one question: You charge $5000 per portrait session. I am very sure HCBresson will be happy with that rate, Ansel Adams too. And you advertise yourself with 35 mm camera in hand. Is not something strange in it, or all these posts are also adds. As I know customer also WANT to see photogs commitment, rather than moving around with a camera that they also have, might be and better. What you can achieve with 35 mm neg no one will pay $5000 for sure. Clients are not museum curators to estimate artistical value of your photographs and pay that much. The very fist impact you can make is technical which you nor anyone else can make with any kind of Leica and Apo-Macro Elmarit even.
    Sorry, but I agree with you at all you said, no exception, but something is strange in it all. Man $5000 is Toyota in very good condition. I wish your charge is true.
    www.Leica-R.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CRW_5192smcc.jpg  
    Last edited by Cheryl Jacobs; 01-20-2007 at 12:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One more thing, as you've pushed a hot button for me.

You said, "Clients are not museum curators to estimate artistical [sic] value of your photographs and pay that much."

I think you need to remember that the value in art of any kind can only be measured by what someone is will to pay for it. If someone wants to pay $5000 for a photograph, then to them, that is its worth.

You're also making many, many assumptions as far as the $5000 figure. I have never said that $5000 was to pay for a single photograph. And it's not that I "charge" $5000 -- it's that that's what clients end up spending on the prints they want. Some spend more, some spend less. Some clients buy many small prints, others buy session albums, othes are more interested in having a few big framed pieces.
    Last edited by Cheryl Jacobs; 01-20-2007 at 12:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

How about marketing prints rather than services

Bill:

Nice start on this follow up to the other thread.

I would also be interested in hearing from some photographers who are marketing prints of their own work rather than marketing portrait services. I think they are very different clients, those of us who have done commercial or portrait photography know that it is surprisingly easier to find a parent willing to spend a pile of money on a portrait of their child than it is to find a collector willing to spend a pile of money on a print.

We as "fine art photographers” find that we have to market to several clients at once. We might need to market to galleries or dealers, or individual collectors. Sometimes to other photographers if we are selling education. I read an interesting post by Brooks Jensen on another forum where he talked about how important it is to match your marketing efforts to your desired client base. It made sense to me that maybe the first step is to think about where you want to see your work. Take Paul Strand for instance, somewhere along the line he made the decision that he mainly wanted to see his photographs in books.

Have any of you made a list of just exactly where you want to see your work?

Thanks,

Ray Bidegain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinnya View Post
    I cannot stress enough the importance of online presence these days. ...
    Though I certainly do not understand how exactly each search engines work, but these are powerful thing, and it is part of important marketing today.

You should use key phrases to see if you site comes up or not. Again, it is important to use phrases, not just words. You have to think like a person who is looking for a photograph to buy.

if you are designing your site or have an ability to change things in the code, put those key words in the <title> tag of each page. It is surprising how much you can get optimized for these search engines.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi
    Here are some excellent pages for anyone looking to attract traffic to their site.

http://www.tamingthebeast.net/articl...-tutorials.htm

http://www.tamingthebeast.net/articl...not-listed.htm

I agree you need to think like joe blog trying to find a photographer. A search like that brought me to a directory site which I'd never heard of, yet it is always very high in a google page ranking whether it's for photographers or plumbers. Adding yourself to a directory or even linking via this forum will raise your search engine profile.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin