Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,452   Online: 955

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Wood frame source?

I am hunting for a good source of simple, hardwood frames of medium width (+/- 1 1/2") I typically use American Frame for aluminum frames, but can't find a wood frame to suit me. I found some I liked at Light Impressions, but thought the shipping charge was outrageous. Anyone know of a good source? Or do most people just use aluminum?

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    american frame has a simple basic wooden frame, look under wood frames, basics.

they come in various types of wood, very clean lines and well made
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Can you give more specific requirements? Expense and size are the biggies. Do you have a target budget, and do you need custom sizes.

The highest quality simple hardwood frames I have ever used are from Picture Woods. There frames are very very nice and are mostly Walnut with luxurious stains. They are also fairly expensive.

Also custom, and still pretty good are Garrett (spelling?) mouldings, but less expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    MMfoto, I've been searching online and asking a similar question here, recently.

I'm trying to restock some frames that I purchased years ago. They're plain, light wood, ready made, standard sizes (mine are 16x20). Everything, glass, matted and mounted print and backing board, drop in from the back. The entire perimeter of the frame has a groove in the surface that's perpendicular to the backing board. Spring clips, like the ones that hold things in place in metal frames, are used *across* the corners, ends set into the groove, with the curved middle portion providing tension across the corner of the backing board.

Are you familiar with these or can you recommend something similar? They're easy to re-use and require no tools.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have been using these people in Kansas City since my source in St. Louis went out of business. Good people and prompt service.
    http://www.pictureandframe.com/

Jerome

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    MMfoto, I've been searching online and asking a similar question here, recently.

I'm trying to restock some frames that I purchased years ago. They're plain, light wood, ready made, standard sizes (mine are 16x20). Everything, glass, matted and mounted print and backing board, drop in from the back. The entire perimeter of the frame has a groove in the surface that's perpendicular to the backing board. Spring clips, like the ones that hold things in place in metal frames, are used *across* the corners, ends set into the groove, with the curved middle portion providing tension across the corner of the backing board.

Are you familiar with these or can you recommend something similar? They're easy to re-use and require no tools.
    I think you're going to have a very hard time finding those again. As for replacements I have difficulty making a recommendation. There are so many readymade manufacturers-there must be thousands worldwide I'd bet.

I'd hit the streets to find a vender, as it's really hard to tell what you're looking at online, esp wood-tone, not to mention quality.

Sorry if I'm not much help. Good Luck!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin