Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,477   Online: 990

View Poll Results: You've got a webshop?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • No thanks

7 15.22%
  • yeah it's making me rich

7 15.22%
  • yes because everybody else has some too

3 6.52%
  • Not yet

29 63.04%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I see you have your own web site on which images are for sale. So what do you think? Was it worth it or not?

To make your web site sell images it needs to look professional and you need hits from the right people. Achieving that requires more work than knocking up a website and putting a paypal buy now button in it. And of course, your images need to be saleable. i.e. what people want at the price they are prepared to pay. The more expensive they are the more difficult it will be to sell on the web, especially to people who have never seen your work before.

To my knowledge, most peoples experience of trying to sell images on the web is that they only get a trickle of sales at best. However, those who have saleable images and put a highly professional looking web site up which is designed to be found on relevant search terms, do have sucess in selling images online. i.e. get it right and it can work but it requires far more work than most people realise. And it requires an extremely well optimised site.

A google search on "art prints" returns 44,000,000 possibles. That is what you are competing against and to be position one or even page one comes at a price and there are no guarantees on achieving that.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have a site I built myself. It's pretty simple but is wonderfully expandable. It's been through several releases over the past three years. I consider it a way to get my photographs seen. Gallery shows are nice, but many more people will see some of my photographs on the web than in any gallery. That is my measure of success.

As for sales from my web site, when I make my next sale from the web site...
    it will be my first.

Oh well, stop by and check it out. URL is shown below
    Last edited by Joe Lipka; 01-18-2007 at 02:01 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling
    A New Project! Transformations 02/02/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i get work through my website, so i guess i sell photography that hasn't been made yet ..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Not yet, but I will.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
    Not yet, but I will.
    That's the spirit...

Shooter
    35mm
    I selected the making me rich option, but the truth is somewhere in the middle, as the website merely facilitates sales, many that are brought in from other promotions. It is a part of an overall strategy. I think just having a webshop and doing nothing else wouldn't amount to much.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've had the domain names for a couple years now, but won't jump into the game until I know I'm ready. Maybe before this time next year...

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How much does a website cost to setup and monthly support?

What is a Webshop? A cobweb from Photoshop?

If I wanted one what would it do for me?

I took computer courses in college, basic, c, Pascal, machine language, windows and the like and have the entire Adobe software package and have a book on the hook in Indesign and have a degree in Graphic Design and Photography as well as a host of medical degrees and diplomas.

Do I want to get into the hosting and computer work involved in a website or go out and enjoy the outdoors and photography away from all of the computer work and sitting and getting fat?

Just asking some questions because I have thought about it for sometime.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Curt, you can spend as much as you want, but realistically :-)

The main cost is the hosting package, which should be somewhere between $50 - $300 per year, depending on your needs and requirements. Then for a webshop you can pay for a commercial package or download an open source "free" option like OScommerce or Zencart, both are remarkably easy to set up and configure.

Having set up a webshop it will do whatever you require. Of course you have to have products to sell, a simple example of an OScommerce site is an APUG sponsor The View Camera Store. Of course the store can be customised to suit and match the overal feel of the rest of your website.

Hope that helps

Ian

[QUOTE=Curt;419522]How much does a website cost to setup and monthly support?

What is a Webshop? A cobweb from Photoshop?

If I wanted one what would it do for me?/QUOTE]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    if you just want a web presence then there is plenty of free and very quick and simple to set up software available which provides your content management system.

for example, just about any blogging software allows this. Wordpress is one and has a plethora of photoblog/gallery plugins and you don't need any html/css/php knowledge to do it. However, you get what you get. If you do have a little php and html/css knowledge then the skies the limit as regards what you can do with it.

Putting paypal buy now buttons in a website is very easy.

But if you want totally bespoke design then it will cost. How much depends on your designer and what you ask for.

basically paying for a new content management system to be designed and built is like asking for the wheel to be reinvented. There are so many out there that that part of your website should not be costing you a lot of money.

On the other hand if you want a full on image asset management tool linked to your website then it will cost quite a lot for an off the shelf product and a huge amount to have one built for you.

If you are serious about selling online then look up "image asset management" in google and find the products which include web site generators in them.

just to get you started:

http://www.imagefolio.com/commerce/

the following 2 are high end image asset management companies

http://www.citdigital.com/

http://www.orangelogic.com/

last one is more a online gallery with sales options:

http://www.lightboxphoto.com/

all of the above would be a lot cheaper than having the equivalent built from scratch.

this last one is a managed option. They provide the hosting and webspace management. you just pay a yearly fee and pick and choose from a host of templates.

http://www.photium.com/

Unless you are really serious and have real money to spend then I would opt for one of the free options unless you are confident and have the time to spend on learning and developing your own site.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin