Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,725   Online: 907

View Poll Results: You've got a webshop?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • No thanks

7 15.22%
  • yeah it's making me rich

7 15.22%
  • yes because everybody else has some too

3 6.52%
  • Not yet

29 63.04%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My website was not designed as a direct sales tool but as more of a marketing tool and a means to direct potential sales to the galleries that represent me. At some point I may decide to sell directly through the web site, but as I'm away a lot there's no one here to ship work.

I think for most people putting up photo web sites, unless they really are a dedicated business and not just running a side business, it's not profitable. For those that have web sites just as a means to make their work public, it could be well worth it to them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I made my web myself. It makes none. But there is usefulness in it just because many guys own computer(s).
    I deliver my business cards to potential customer at any chance and my web is there. Now from their home they can see samples of my work, rather than to carry my portfolio around. If they are interested I come to them with portfolio and real photographs.
    www.Leica-R.com
    Last edited by Daniel_OB; 01-19-2007 at 11:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm

Webshops

My daughter has a website; can purchase on it, but no takers. She set it up originally to show her paintings and photography and then for her dancer photos. We do much better showing the photos in person.

http://www.freewebs.com/learningasigoalong/

She is getting a lot of interest via her flickr site which shows her dancer photos and some of her photos from Ireland. She'd like some comments on her work. We think her swan photos from Galway are really something!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cthrn_holt/sets
    [SIZE=7][SIZE=3]APUGers do it in the DARK[/SIZE][SIZE=3]![/SIZE][/SIZE] :D

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'd like to answer your poll, but the options are not suited to my situation. So I'll explain in more length.

I own and run two galleries showing only my work (Scene by Hird). My web site acts as a catalogue and as a marketing tool for the whole business. It forms only one cog on the wheel: it is not the wheel itself. I don't expect to get rich from my site, nor even for the site to pay for itself through sales. However, without the site, my business would suffer much more than the cost of running the site.

Although people may purchase from my site, only around 1% of my sales are directly attributable to my site - by which I mean people have only seen the electronic version and not the physical prints before making a purchase. By far the greater number of sales come from one of my two real-world galleries.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you are fooling yourself if you think a web site featuring your photography can be your only outlet for your work and that it will make you rich.

Cheers,
    Graeme
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My wife tells me that hell will freeze over before I finish my site! "under construction" for a year now...
    With so much competition for nature photography here in Colorado, the site seems to mostly add legitimacy to my business in the eyes of the public. I was selling my prints long before the web, and fought even getting my site done. But now the way it works is, they see my stuff at one of the shows, and even though the site's not working, they "follow up" and purchase later. So I guess it's adding some value for now to the business, and I should stop bidding for large format stuff on the bay and finish it!!!
    DT

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin