Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,391   Posts: 1,683,316   Online: 601

Shooter
    Medium Format

UK Terms and conditions.

Does anyone have a template for terms and conditions when booking a client for a photo session?

Does UK privacy law stop us from displaying promotional images on a website?

Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday View Post
    Does anyone have a template for terms and conditions when booking a client for a photo session?

Does UK privacy law stop us from displaying promotional images on a website?

Thanks.
    Dear Gary,

There is no coherent UK privacy law. The main considerations in your case would be:

1 Are you holding them up to ridicule? Showing someone in an (unwarrantedly) poor light (figuratively, not literally) has always been actionable and the principle has lately been extended e.g. to supermodels come out of drug rehab clinics.

2 Are you implying things about them that you do not know to be true? For example, a woman in a short skirt and fishnet stockings standing on a corner in the red light district MIGHT be a vicar's wife on a way to a party, so don't caption the picture 'Tart' unless you're certain.

3 Closely related to the above is 'commercial' versus 'editorial' use, and this has not been well defined. Most decent sane people would argue that even publication in a book or magazine is 'editorial' and therefore legitimate, but there are some publishers' lawyers who say that if you're paid for (or expecting to be paid for) the pics, this is 'commercial' use. I regard this as an ass-covering exercise, not as good legal advice, and some publishers have admitted as much to me, but I would be remiss if I did not mention it.

4 Is it commercially wise to publish the pics in this way? If your subjects don't mind, or are unlikely to mind, don't worry about this bit. If they are likely to complain, it may do you more harm than good, even if they have no legal basis for doing so. Ask them: many will be flattered to appear on your web-site.

It's also worth adding that a lot of politicians, supermodels and others who have an unwarrantedly high opinion of themselves would LOVE a privacy law, and indeed often make comments as if there were one. Probably, there will be one day; the French already have one de facto, though not (as far as I am aware) de jure in the sense of its appearing in the Code. But at the moment, the above is a fair summary of the exceedingly woolly situation in the UK.

Cheers,

R. (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the detailed answer Roger. I was led to believe that you required permission to hold someone's image in a portfolio.

I had a disc with model releases and a standard contract for weddings, but the disc has been damaged during a move.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the detailed answer Roger. I was led to believe that you required permission to hold someone's image in a portfolio.

I had a disc with model releases and a standard contract for weddings, but the disc has been damaged during a move.
    Dear Gary,

You're more than welcome but of course I have to put my lawyer's hat on and issue a disclaimer that I am not a practising lawyer despite having a law degree (Birmingham, 1973).

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ah that's close enough for me!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    For example, a woman in a short skirt and fishnet stockings standing on a corner in the red light district MIGHT be a vicar's wife on a way to a party, so don't caption the picture 'Tart' unless you're certain.
    Would it be OK if she had a slice of apple pie in her hand?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    While I'm on the subject; do I have to inform the local police that I'll be storing images of children?

Do the negs need locked up? (before I do!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While I'm on the subject; do I have to inform the local police that I'll be storing images of children?

Do the negs need locked up? (before I do!)
    No need to get paranoid...

Hmmm, then again...

Anyway, http://www.sirimo.co.uk/ukpr.php may have at least some of the answers.

Cheers, Bob.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin