Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,958   Online: 1029

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glass

As a framer, I can answer a few of the questions here. Glass is used for protection. It has a 47% blockage rate against UV light which is not a lot, but better thatn nothing. It also will deep a certain amount of dirt, grease, etc. off of the image. Regular glass allows about 92% transmission of light through it and regular glass has a slight greenish tint to it unless it is iron free. Acrylic is certainly clearer and has a bit better UV protection, but the downside is it's easier to scratch and does eventually yellow over time. There are some great antireflective glasses that go nearly invisible. Denglas and Image Perfect are two of the trade names. Please note that they are not considered museum glass unless they have about 99% UV blockage. I work with IP glass mainly. It does a great job of eliminating relfection. However, it's tough to handle. Up until recently, you had to clean it with an alcohol based cleaner and the surface is a little softer than regular glass. Then there's the price difference. A case of glass is about $40 where IP will cost at least $300 for the same case. It doesn't come cheap! Now, this is not the same as non glare glass which is more heavily etched to reduce that glare and basically softens the image. Hope this helps. Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    David -

Paintings are very different from photographs. In fact some need to breathe. There are paintings that are literally hundreds of years old that have not full dried yet. They still give off various vapors. Better to bisperse them than trap them. They are also much hardier. Oil paints and watercolors don't hold a fingerprint smudge the way glossy paper does. Even then you'll notice many paintings behind those velvet ropes.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Pastels and watercolors are nearly always displayed behind glazing. Oil paintings generally have a varnished surface that is much less delicate and so are usually displayed without glass. There are exceptions: I recently saw a number of Francis Bacon paintings which were framed under acrylic (huge pieces of acrylic because they were really big paintings). It was obvious that the canvases were not varnished, an esthetic decision on Bacon's part, and so needed the protection of glazing.

Photographs do lose a lot when the surface is hidden by glass or acrylic, but the photographic surface is too vulnerable to leave exposed to an audience that isn't knowledgable and trustworthy.

I understand that a photographer in the Twin Cities (MN) is marketing prints done by an process which transfers a print emulsion to an embossed surface that is very durable and requires no glass. I am looking for more information on this process for application in my fine art print sales. The process may have some digital component. If anyone knows anything about this process, please respond. Thanks
    reimerron

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Like you I would rather see the image without interference, but just imagine, you have spent many hours and lots of mula making your gelatin/pt/cyanotype....(fill in what rocks you). YOur work gets to the gallerie/museum/show....and you see all these people touching, licking, putting their greasy nose on the print....
    E-RPM SOFT COM
    336-793-0285

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by carlweese View Post
    Photographs do lose a lot when the surface is hidden by glass or acrylic, but the photographic surface is too vulnerable to leave exposed to an audience that isn't knowledgable and trustworthy.
    I use museum quality glass for my prints.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    I have information about the pro's and con's of using glass and acrylic for picture framing here: glass vs acrylic
    In this case, I am referring to framing grade acrylic. Acrylic is material type, and names such as Plexiglas and Acrylite are brand names.

Cheers,
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Besides nothing beats a good piece of glass!

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use of reg glass is what cause the image to be hard to see. I always use den/museum glass. A lot of museum are now putting everything under plexiglass boxes for protection from environmental concerns. Packing art is not something I would leave to movers. I have sent art all over the world without incident. If you have valuable art have a professional art mover package it, cheap insurance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Images View Post
    If you have valuable art have a professional art mover package it, cheap insurance.
    What he said.

Steve

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin