Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,178   Online: 932

I picked up a used rototrim last year which is in very good shape. I have used it a few times to trim some 4 ply mount board and I always wince when I do it and fear that this is too much for it, but do it anyway. So I thought I would ask whether anybody else has done this and experienced problems. Should I not do it or quit wincing? Thanks. Tom Perkins

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I would think that a matt cutter with a straight cut blade would be better. But that is a perfect solution in a perfect world and we all know that this is not a perfect world.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used a rotary trimmer to cut 4 ply board for many years and still use the original blade. I have noticed that the board is slightly flattened on the first 0.25" of the cut, presemably it is pushed down by the cutting head. I also place the trimmer with one end against a solid wall to prevent it moving as the blade first starts the cut.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Many of these trimmers have a self sharping blade which will help. We have used the trimmer to cut up to 4 ply board, however, usually I rather use a straight blade and metal ruler on a selfing healing board. Just habit.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin