Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,906   Posts: 1,521,419   Online: 1034

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jorge,
    Does the Nikor cover the format with movements? I have a 610 Apo Nikor that I bought from Dagor and he said it would cover 16X20 so will see. The lens I have is not in the greatest of shape but will probably be fine for contacts. Want to get something shorter though. Does the 355 have any problems with coverage?
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    You can get about 3 inches rise/fall without vigneting. After that you might get about 3 more inches but you loose about 3/4 inch on both sides, I just crop this when I print if I have used that much movement. You have more than enough coverage for tilt and rise/fall. The 355 I have not used but I have heard it has enough coverage with plenty of rise.

Yeah, with exception of one lens he had about a month ago, I have not seen enything that guy sells that is any good. Most of the junk he sells is process lenses which IMO are more hassle than what they are worth, unless you have them mounted.

So to get back on topic does your friend Charles limits his editions?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jorge,

No he does not limit the edition sizes. He does print two different types of prints of the same image. The first are his "hand crafted prints" on which all of the masking and related work has been done. The second type is based on a copy neg shot of a hand crafted print. The reason is that he is attempting to address two market segments. The hand crafted prints are 24X30 minimum, I believe. The copy neg print size is as small as 16X20, as I recall. There is a factor of about 100% difference in same size prints. Oh and BTW Midwest Camera has a 355 G Claron in their latest flier, if you are interested. I believe that it was priced slightly below $900. They have a website if you wish to search availability.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Every-time I read and article in View Camera by John Paul Caponigro I think, jeeez...this looks like english but I sure as heck don't understand a word of it!"

Don't worry, you are not alone in that! I can sling some fancy talk myself, but even I get lost.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks Donald I will keep Midwest in mind, I just bought an angulon 165 for the 8x10 so it will have to wait.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jorge,
    I understand. The angulon should be nice and wide on the 8X10. When does the art show come up in Houston?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Along the lines of marketing, the city in which I live has an art gallery which has been in existence for well over 20 years (that I am aware of). This gallery is a cooperative in which the members buy into the cooperative.

The work load is spread among the members, with each member of the cooperative obligated to a certain number of days or hours spent in attending the public at the gallery.

Periodically, several of the members have their new art production exhibited at the gallery (this changes from time to time). So that while all of the members art is shown, there is an emphasis on each of the members periodically.

Additionally, the gallery has developed contacts and display locations for the members art, apart from the gallery. One of those locations, among others, is a medical clinic which has a large amount of daily traffic. I wonder if a cooperative would be a viable alternative for those in the photographic community? Would this work on only a local or regional basis? Would it be possible to have a national network?

There is a firm in Kansas City, Mo. (I forget their name) that arranges for traveling national showings of artists work. I noticed recently that Clyde Butcher has arranged with this firm to exhibit his work around the country. They seem to indicate to prospective displayers of represented work the square feet of wall space that a particular exhibit requires. This then allows the prospective showers whether the exhibit would work in their location. Would a cooperative effort be capable of gaining exposure along these lines as well?

I would like to hear your views on the above questions. Additionally, please indicate any criticism or concerns that you would have.

Shooter
    Large Format
    They should be posting the info soon on their site. BTW anybody who is wondering it is Photo Fest. A very respected photography show in Houston.

The only problem I would see with a coop would be the quality of work and the types of work. If you are the only photographer then people who visit the gallery might be used to seeing paintings, sculpture etc dont know if that is good for you or not, but I would rather have my work where people know they go look at photography.

The traveling firm thing, well if Clyde Butcher uses them, they gotta be good. Who know what their requirements are?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jorge,
    Re: the firm that arranges traveling exhibitions. Their site is www.smithkramer.com

I am not sure of their requirements. Possibly their site will cover that, if not you may want to email them.

Additionally, are you familiar with Camera Obscura Gallery in Denver, Colorado? I have met the gallerie director/owner (Hal Gould) he is an interesting fellow and a photographer in his own right. Might be an interesting contact for you if are not aware of them. They had a really large pt-pd print by Jerry Uelesman when I last visited. I have seen work by Weston(s), Adams, and Howard Bond so he handles some excellent work. Also had a show by Katz when I was there. He may be interested in your ULF pt-pd work, certainly wouldn't hurt to contact them. He seemed to be slowing down (personally) when I was there last April as he is at an advanced age. He had an assistant working with him.

Hope that this helps. Have a super day and stay cool...we have no problem with that here...LOL

Shooter
    Large Format
    Donald thanks for the tip, sure, although I never met the owner I visited the gallery when I did a job in Denver. They are one of the Galleries I plan to visit with my work one day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin