Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,928   Online: 936

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Regarding spotting pens and others

I've read through many of the spotting Q&As here, but was wondering if spotting with pens or other materials changes the finish of the paper, ie, would the spotted blemish look glossy on satin or matte paper? Or vice-versa? Can you see the spot by holding the paper at an angle, etc...?

Thanks from this newbie printer...

Shooter
    35mm
    Depends on the surface to an extent, RC glossy tends to show the spotting much more than say a semi-matt.

I have only ever used Tetenal spotting pens which are very good on small spots and the spotting tends to disappear after it has been applied for a while but certainly gloss is by far the most difficult surface to spot.

Most viewers who aren't looking for the spotting would not notice. Trick is to spot lightly and use a pen whose shade is slightly lighter than the surrounding area. You can always go darker and apply more.

Good as they are, I'd do almost anything to avoid the need for spotting in the first place.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have only used Spotone on glossy fiber (Portriga Rapid and Ilford Gallery). No hint at all of the Spotone on the print, surface-wise.

Vaughn

Shooter
    35mm RF

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Never tried those - I'm quite partial to the SpotPens brand of spotting pens. The tip can produce a spot as small as a size 00 brush, or with more pressure applied you can fill a fairly large area. The ink sinks into the paper surface so they don't show when they're dry.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by desi8888 View Post
    Yes great. and they will last forever.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've only used Spotone. The dye can be diluted as needed, which may not be possible with pens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I started this thread almost 4 years ago, and what I've found is that regular Spotone or the Peerless watercolor cards (from Freestyle) do the best job. I use a tiny brush 00 or 000...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin