Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,096   Online: 1076

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dnmilikan @ Mar 31 2003, 04:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I include ... gloves as an aid to the viewer and as an indication that I have placed enough value on my work to hesitate having oil transmitted to the materials.

As an aside, there is an informative site located at http://art-support.com which has a fair amount of information to those who are interested in marketing and selling their work.</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Uh... I&#39;ve heard that "gloves should be included" before. I&#39;ve checked with the owners of the local gallery... (I have a reasonably good rapport with them ... but they do not deal with many nude figure studies - parochail Puritan-ville), and one would have to be careful that they do not take that inclusion as a negative message that they were considered to be careless in their handling of art works. It may well be that they ARE ... but *image*, a.k.a. "first messages", is nearly everything.
    Also, the "Portfolio Guidelines" on that Artist&#39;s web site recommend against including gloves.

The Panodia (and others) portfolios enclose the prints in plastic... sufficient protection ... which is a *pain* to keep clean - and - I don&#39;t know - I don&#39;t really LIKE the "look", but so far that seems to be "accepted" among those who view portfolios.

I have a portfolio from a *wonderful* local photographer - not the usual - black and white prints, various sizes - mounted on some sort of heavy black paper in a spiral loose leaf binding with heavy fiber covers. The photographs are *only* on the "odd" pages (right side), with captions and poetry on the "even" pages facing them. The overall effect is *very* good. A very effective use here of "white" (so, in this case it&#39;s black) space.

I&#39;m thinking ... I&#39;m thinking ...
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I used to tape the overmat to the back board but not now. Only because I am lazy for no other reason.

lee&#092;c

Quick question...

It&#39;s interesting that you suggest black overmats in the portfolio. Why not use white overmats?

dgh
    David G Hall

Shooter
    Large Format
    I tape my overmat to the mount using acid free linen tape to make a hinge. Seems to keep everything in order. Some of my prints are trimmed more then others and consequently every mat is custom cut to that print.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I use Westminster buffered mat board from Light Impressions. It is not white but very close to white. It is 4 ply. I cut the matts a little higher that in the middle of the board. I don&#39;t print larger than 11x14 and mat every thing from that size smaller on to 16x20. I use to not dry mount but have decided that it is much safer for the photograph to be dry mounted.
    Every good professional gallery I have ever been in to see a show has had that off white color of mat. Definitely not black. That may be good in the commercial world but not in the art world.

lee&#092;c

Lee,

I didn&#39;t mean black mats for the wall. I meant that earlier in the thread a few people mentioned black overmats for a portfolio. Since the mat seems to affect the way you see a photograph, wouldn&#39;t you want the mat to be the same color whether it&#39;s in your lap or on the wall?

dgh
    David G Hall

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lee @ Mar 31 2003, 10:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Every good professional gallery I have ever been in to see a show has had that off white color of mat. Definitely not black. That may be good in the commercial world but not in the art world.
    </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    The Herb Ritts show at the Museum of Fine Arts, in Boston, last year. Every one of Ritts photogrpaphs was in black, textured matting.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Amongst the cornfields & rednecks of central Indiana
    Hmmm, saw the Ansel Adams exhibit in Indianapolis 2 years ago. Every print was in a black mat and frame...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    In the New York gallery scene, 8-ply white seems to be the current mode.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin