Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,166   Posts: 1,614,433   Online: 879

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Ari,
    Looks pretty good on my xp & ie7 box.
    I think you should add a picture of yourself, and maybe one of you in your darkroom.
    And congrats on finally getting it done, I know, been there done that!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Ari,

The site loads very fast, no problems at all. I think the photos are a bit small to be fully appreciated.

My OS is Windows XP. Browser is Explorer.

Cheers, omar

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dave Travis:
    You are right and I want to, but first I've got to clean up my darkroom (not presentable at the moment) and find someone good with a camera to photograph me.

Omar:
    Try clicking on them. I thought of having some text or an icon to explain that but I decided against it.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    Sino,
    we should talk!

AgX,
    what is your set up?

The whole point of the WWW is that any device with a browser that follows standards should be able to access and display correctly any page.
    At least, that's in theory, but unfortunately you have the proprietary crap that Microsoft and Abobe floods the web with, locking the free world to their business models and limiting the audience of a website.
    I want everyone to be able to see my photos, on any device and any software.
    If it can load on a cell phone, with a slow connection, tiny screen and simple browser, then it should work everywhere!
    Hear! Hear! Thank you for considering others using different devices and software for a browser.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwardv View Post
    Hear! Hear! Thank you for considering others using different devices and software for a browser.
    No, really, I was doing it for myself.
    I want the widest audience possible.
    I mean, what's the point of having a website when I limit my audience by forcing them to use specific software that they might not have or work with their chosen system and require them to have powerful hardware and fast connection?
    After all, all I want is people to look at my photographs and get some information on me. Simple really, why complicate it?
    Why also, would I tie up my website and photos to a specific company?
    "I am not a number, I am a free man!"

I have visited many websites of many photographers and often they are a pain in the ass. You have to put up with slow and heavy bling bling that takes an age to load up, then you are hunting down the means to navigate the site and before you even reached the photographs you are bored and fed up already.
    If a site is slow and heavy, most people will not bother to look more than a couple photographs.

I have a top of the line desktop computer with a 24" screen and fast broadband (24/1Mbps) connection, but not everyone has that.
    And I want people to see my photos.
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I launch the website, then Kosovo declares independence, the party of Bhutto wins the elections in Pakistan, Fidel Castro officially steps down, Cyprus changes leadership, its snows heavily in Crete and in my hometown...
    I swear it was unplanned! I had nothing to do with all that!
    Last edited by arigram; 02-19-2008 at 08:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    35mm
    I launch the website, then Kosovo declares independence, the party of Bhutto wins the elections in Pakistan, Fidel Castro officially steps down, Cyprus changes leadership, its snows heavily in Crete and in my hometown...
    I swear it was unplanned! I had nothing to do with all that!
    Cats and dogs living together! Total chaos!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Cats and dogs living together! Total chaos!
    Yeah, we are only missing the dead rising from their graves and a giant Stay Puft Marshmallow Man invading Manhattan.

Any thought on whether I should have titles on my photos or not?
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yeah, we are only missing the dead rising from their graves and a giant Stay Puft Marshmallow Man invading Manhattan.

Any thought on whether I should have titles on my photos or not?
    I have always thought that the meaning of a photograph is determined by the viewer. The subject can sometimes be the viewer, the photographer will be a viewer, but mostly strangers will be viewers. I think titles merely inhibit the enjoyment of photographs, documentary photos excepted.
    You have asked for comments on your web site per se, but I would like to say that I was blown away with your photographs. Your web site and photographic style spoke to me like few others I have seen.
    Thank you for sharing this.
    Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    I have always thought that the meaning of a photograph is determined by the viewer. The subject can sometimes be the viewer, the photographer will be a viewer, but mostly strangers will be viewers. I think titles merely inhibit the enjoyment of photographs, documentary photos excepted.
    I agree, but then I thought that "places", could have the name of the location. When I remember it.
    You have asked for comments on your web site per se, but I would like to say that I was blown away with your photographs. Your web site and photographic style spoke to me like few others I have seen.
    Thank you for sharing this.
    Now, Bill, this is a very flattering compliment and I must definitely reply to it, not with a short answer.
    I am of the firm belief that an artist should know where (s)he stands. An artist should know him(her)self and the level of the work. Should not be an optimist, blindly believing (s)he is a genius with astonishing masterpieces, but also should not put him(her)self down, damaging his work ability and life. There are artists who are great enough to go to either extreme and do masterpieces, like Giacometti, Picasso, Pollock, Dali, Van Gogh, Rodin and all who fought with depression and megalomania.
    I cannot claim to know myself. That is a high goal, that many ancient philosophers couldn't reach themselves.
    But I do know more or less my artistic level and where my goals are.
    I will be completely honest with you and whoever reads this, when I say that I am at present a mediocre photographer, with poor technical skills, moderate aesthetics and with little or no originality.
    I am brutally honest because I compare myself to the great artists and my goal is to create great art myself. But I am at the very, very beginning. I am still learning the basics of photography and art, am still doing basic experiments and often am held back by my own timidity and narrow scope.
    This website took a lot of time, because apart from technical matters, I had trouble picking photographs to display. I was very disappointed when I went through all my negatives. Even in very photogenic places I had nothing to show and kept thinking I could do more with the people that gave their time for me.
    I don't personally consider my work good, just passable.
    And not only out of comparison, but also because many ideas and desires for photographs I have in my head are not realized yet and don't know if they ever will.
    Unfortunately, photography needs real subjects to be created. Unlike my work with drawing and sculpture that is imaginative and free, my photos are restricted by my approach to real people and real places. I am often too timid to point my camera at someone, too uncertain to make a good composition with something photogenic, too unskilled to bring the idea to fruition.
    My ideas and desires go far beyond on what I have on my negatives. And why is that lag? For many reasons, but one could group them all under the word "beginning". I am too much at the beginning. Almost ashamed to show this level to you, because I know I can do more, much more.
    And that is good, right?
    I mean, if an artist couldn't do more, then (s)he would be dead.

Thank you Bill and everybody else for liking the photographs.
    Not so much for me (even though I do get satisfaction out of compliments to be honest), as much for you.
    In another thread I wrote that making art is about pleasing oneself and that is correct. But I am happy that you derived enjoyment out of my photographs, not so much because it was me and my work that did it, but because you enjoyed that moment.

If a genie would grant two wishes, would be one to have the opportunities to make some good photos and second to actually do it without chickening out.

Thank you all.
    www.arigram.gr

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin