Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,569   Posts: 1,545,464   Online: 1188

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

www.arigram.gr

At last, the moment you all have been waiting for,

www.arigram.gr

is open for business.

Seriously, I would like your opinions.
    What you like, what you don't like.
    What is practical, what is confusing, what detail
    doesn't quite fit, what doesn't work well.
    The more information, the better.

Tell me about your:
    - Operating System and version
    - Browser and version

The website has been built with these things in mind:
    - To be as compatible with the standards as possible
    - To be fast
    - Not to use proprietary commercial addons (such as flash).
    - To use minimal javascript
    - To have a minimalist design as to focus on the essential
    - To be practical and user friendly
    - To be able to change and grow
    - To be updated easily

It has been tested successfully with Firefox 2 and 3 on
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon (Linux), Microsoft Windows XP SP2
    and on the cell phone Sony Ericsson W880i with the built in
    browser and Opera Mini 4.

This website has been 18 years in the making (from the moment I first went online on the Internet I wanted to make one). So its kind of a big deal for me, mostly of sentimental value.
    The reason I am posting here is not for advertising purposes (like anyone cares), but to get as many people to test it as possible, especially of photographic background.

So, please excuse this shameless plug.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Excellent.

It looks good (I Like the links icons).

Everything loads very quickly.

Nice design.

I think you have achieved all that you wanted.

Views o.k. on Firefox.

Not being conversant in Greek, I have only looked at the English version.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Ari,
    Pleasant website, no technical problems detected.

Regards
    Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It also looks very nice in Opera v. 9.24.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Firefox on a mac, and it loads quickly, and looks good. My only comment... you information page could be, well... a little more personal. Also... it's not clear to me what your business model is. Are you looking for editorial or commercial assignments? Portrait commissions? Print sales? I would spell that out somewhere at the start.

Good job.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello σύντεκνε,

First of all, congratulations on building the website and most of all, two thumbs up for the descriptions on how you work and why you prefer the equipment that you're using.

What I found in need of improvement is the "main block" of your website, that is too small in comparison with the content that needs to fit in it. In a 1024x768 screen it looks bulky, whilst in a larger screen it looks compressed. Another area that could be improved is the text at the info part of the website -- design-wise, it's a block of text that uses bold and regular characters in an unorganized fashion. The headlines should look as headlines, and the parts in the text that need some more attention can be emphasized with lots of other ways. A good idea, since you have menu selections both on the left and the top of the site, is to keep all text oriented in one way, to avoid clutter. This way the eye can follow the text in a more natural way. One last -and least- improvement would be to include a photograph when someone enters the gallery -- right now it feels 'empty' when you first have to pick a category in order to start browsing.

All in all, I believe it's a great start for a photographic website, since the visitor is almost "forced" to pay attention to the content of the site and not to it's build, which is what it's there for! :-)

I used Firefox 2.0 on Windows XP & browsed only through the Greek section of the website.

-Sino.
    Last edited by Sino; 02-17-2008 at 06:35 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added os & web browser info
    Close your eyes to see. This will take a while.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ari,

Consider your site `AgX-proof´, as my computer set-up seems to be the worst here at apug. I can no longer use the Kodak site, but yours works perfectly!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    Firefox on a mac, and it loads quickly, and looks good. My only comment... you information page could be, well... a little more personal. Also... it's not clear to me what your business model is. Are you looking for editorial or commercial assignments? Portrait commissions? Print sales? I would spell that out somewhere at the start.

Good job.
    Thank you all and I am glad its working for you.

You make two good points Suzanne.
    I have thought about both a lot.

I mentioned that I wanted to built a website 18 years ago.
    When I first saw the world online I was dazzled and wanted to join by making a personal website. It was the days that you most often used a text browser (such as Lynx) and the very fancy websites had a couple 20k GIF images and no background.
    So, to make my point, the problem is that I had nothing to write about back then and have very little to write about myself right now. I also have found that after many dozens of drafts through out the years, I could never make an autobiography that didn't sound cheesy or pretentious.
    So, for this website, I settled on elaborating on my artistic, mostly technical, details, things that would interest potential clients.
    Maybe when I am twenty years older, my beard turn gray and with some professional background, someone else would be able to write about me.

Your second question should be answered by a shrug of the shoulders and an adolescent "don't know". I am very open to being offered work of many kinds and considering I am very new to the game and the chaos of the local market, I can't be more specific than my photographs say.
    I would really like my photographs to speak for themselves, about what I do and how I do it and have potential clients request that kind of work from me.
    To display artistic black and white and then go around shooting weddings with a cheap digital, like everyone else does around here, would be confusing.
    Plus, I am not really well informed in the whole business aspect, including economics.
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it is a good site, and I do believe that you have accomplished your stated objectives.

Like Ole I find that it looks very nice on Opera

C

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sino,
    we should talk!

AgX,
    what is your set up?

The whole point of the WWW is that any device with a browser that follows standards should be able to access and display correctly any page.
    At least, that's in theory, but unfortunately you have the proprietary crap that Microsoft and Abobe floods the web with, locking the free world to their business models and limiting the audience of a website.
    I want everyone to be able to see my photos, on any device and any software.
    If it can load on a cell phone, with a slow connection, tiny screen and simple browser, then it should work everywhere!
    www.arigram.gr

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin