Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,974   Posts: 1,558,726   Online: 800

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I wonder why Kodak gets the brunt of all the jokes and criticism....they are still around and producing film products for us, even though most of the others have disappeared (Agfa....totally gone. Ilford....until, thankfully, they were re-organised. Konica....totally gone. Forte....totally gone.
    Orwo....totally gone.)

I was all for knocking Kodak, until I read some considered comments in another thread, and realised that most of the industry's problems generally are a direct result of the switch to digital. Kodak are far from perfect, but I wouldn't like to be trying to manage the company right now.

(Not criticising any of the jokey posts or views posted here, they just started a train of thought in my mind. )

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    hehehe yes my associate (who does all the digital work in my lab said Kodaks new slogan should be "Kodak .....going negative"
    but my I have some serious slogans that have been used?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2F/2F;

Among other things, Kodak sitll takes film seriously and I can assure you that they are conducting an ongoing product improvement program. It took literally years to perfect the latest round of color and B&W products using the latest technology!

And, being known as a photographic company in the north east as well, it has been difficult to attract good electronics people for the digital work when they can go to sunny California. Even so, they make some of the most advanced and best digital sensors in the world.

You could pick out a few of those slogans and apply them to Fuji or to Agfa before it perished. None of the other existing companies are doing original research except Kodak and Fuji, they are merely reviving old product lines.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "None of the other existing companies are doing original research except Kodak and Fuji, they are merely reviving old product lines."

I wish Kodak would. Original research is not what I want. I don't need new T Max or better color neg film. Films were good enough 15 years ago to do everything I will ever want to do. What I want is the stuff they got rid of; especially 320T, Plus-X sheets, and Pan-X. Fuji too. I am not making a total attack on Kodak. They are pretty much comparable to Fuji and Ilford. It's just that they offer little to pique my interest over Ilford or Fuji. I wonder if any of the big manufacturers will ever dare to be different again. My point is that the large range of products that made Kodak very unique and more interesting than some other companies have been discontinued.

Also, I think you probably know that I am not trying to make a factual analysis of Kodak. I am just voicing my frustrations with a brand whose [discontinued] products I love[d], with humor intended.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-07-2008 at 12:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know you are frustrated, and so am I, but the fact remains that product is spoiling on dealers shelves and Kodak is having master rolls go bad uncut due to lack of orders. So, it is not their fault. As I said before, digital drives due to the fact that the majority of customers want mediocrity and they want it now!

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I As I said before, digital drives due to the fact that the majority of customers want mediocrity and they want it now!

PE
    That is so true in ALL consumer goods, not just film. People chose to watch mediocre TV over going to the movies, People adopted cassette and 8-track tapes over superior vinyl records, People buy disposable electronics rather than products built well enough to be repaired and kept. People always choose convenience over quality and durability.

Shooter
    35mm
    Here are some on my shelves....
    "Take Pictures. Further."
    "Share Moments. Share Life."
    "A Kodak Moment"
    "Show Your True Colors"
    "For the Times of Your life"
    "What Film Is In Your Camera?"
    "For the moments that matter most" ( Used when they introduced Royal Gold)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When they introduced the Instamatic (126 cartridge) they used "as simple as blinking" in the UK.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    I wonder why Kodak gets the brunt of all the jokes and criticism....
    Kodak gets the lion's share of the criticism because they ARE the freakin' lion!

Shooter
    35mm
    ^^^@Justin Silber

African lions were easy targets for the old-time hunters to shoot.
    Now they're nearly extinct, people wish they hadn't.

How about "you don't know what you've got till it's gone" as a slogan.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin