Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,512   Online: 1016

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    That is so true in ALL consumer goods, not just film. People chose to watch mediocre TV over going to the movies, People adopted cassette and 8-track tapes over superior vinyl records, People buy disposable electronics rather than products built well enough to be repaired and kept. People always choose convenience over quality and durability.
    Very true.

It amazes me to see how some people stress themselves out to have the latest hi-tech feature-bloated gadgets, and then never have time to use and enjoy them.

I just love the times when I can relax and take some leisurely considered pictures with my 20-year-old Pentax LX, then quite happily wait a few days until I can either process the film if negs, or for the transparencies to come back in the mail. Then an equally enjoyable evening scanning (*) and printing the best two or three from the film, while I listen to Mozart on the hi-fi.

(*) apologies to the analogue purists, I don't have a darkroom to print "properly" right now, it's not thru choice.
    Last edited by railwayman3; 08-07-2008 at 04:43 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Can't spell.

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    "Kodak makes your pictures count!" ca. sometime in the 70s, IIRC.

I vaguely remember that the tune that went with it was the same as some short-lived commercial-pop top 40 number.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    ..... Original research is not what I want. I don't need new T Max or better color neg film. Films were good enough 15 years ago to do everything I will ever want to do......
    Innovate or die.

What may have been suitable at one time is not necessarily acceptable at a later time. Whether it's analog or digital - if you do not move forward, you die.

Just like a shark....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    qestoion, slogan: capture the shadow

I heard that kodak went on the market with this slogan "capture the shadow"
    it was in the begining of company late 19 century, and the purpose or focus
    group was that the relatives should take picture of the deceased to preserve
    there memory.

can anyone verify this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "The films you need for the results you want" from Kodak ad in July 1998 Popular Photography

Not exactly the most catchy slogan ever, but there you go.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    "None of the other existing companies are doing original research except Kodak and Fuji, they are merely reviving old product lines."

I wish Kodak would. Original research is not what I want. I don't need new T Max or better color neg film. Films were good enough 15 years ago to do everything I will ever want to do.
    Oh, but I want it. I need TMY-2, it's arguably the best B&W film ever made. With 5x4, I need the speed, and I love that it's sharper and less grainy than the Tri-X I was using. But in particular I love the tonality. It feels more linear; it feels like it's translating the colors of the scene into the correct gray tones more than any other film to me.

The old films were not good enough for me. It's the new films that do what I want them to do.

What I want is the stuff they got rid of; especially 320T, Plus-X sheets, and Pan-X. Fuji too. ...
    I wonder if any of the big manufacturers will ever dare to be different again.
    It would be nice if they could do both -- keep the old and create the new. But we can't expect them to keep unprofitable products on the market. If enough people had been buying Plus-X sheets it would have been profitable and they would still be available.

My point is that the large range of products that made Kodak very unique and more interesting than some other companies have been discontinued.
    True enough. But the thing that continues to make Kodak unique and interesting is their continued R&D and the new products they bring to market. Without Kodak, the entire film market stagnates, then dies.

For example, without Kodak pushing the new motion picture emulsions, the change over to digital projection would occur sooner. Kodak keeps raising the bar, and digital projection continues to have problem catching up. And when digital projection finally catches up to the point where it's nearly as cost effective as film for the same quality level, all of us film users are in trouble. Motion picture film is what's keeping the coating plants running from what I can tell.

So I'm all for Kodak pushing and therefore defining the state of the art. And I'm happy to have the technology applied to make vastly improved TMY-2 and the amazing new Portra films.

Also, I think you probably know that I am not trying to make a factual analysis of Kodak. I am just voicing my frustrations with a brand whose [discontinued] products I love[d], with humor intended.
    I hope you don't take this personally. I just get frustrated when film people bash Kodak when to me it looks as if Kodak is the only company left trying to push film forward and thus keep it alive. Kodak seems to be a perfect example of: "No good deed goes unpunished."
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I know you are frustrated, and so am I, but the fact remains that product is spoiling on dealers shelves and Kodak is having master rolls go bad uncut due to lack of orders. So, it is not their fault. As I said before, digital drives due to the fact that the majority of customers want mediocrity and they want it now!

PE
    What some folks conveniently forget is that Kodak has a fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders. How many people here would buy stock (invest their hard-earned money) in a company that acquiesced to a dwindling minority of consumers, and produced an entire line of loss leader products, with no expectation of a return on investment?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know you are frustrated, and so am I, but the fact remains that product is spoiling on dealers shelves and Kodak is having master rolls go bad uncut due to lack of orders.
    What happened to that last master roll of Azo paper that disappeared?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not a marketing slogan, but a verb:

Kodaking

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin