Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,975   Posts: 1,523,636   Online: 1126

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Mystery Mount Cutter - Request for guidance

I'd like to tap into the APUG accumulated knowledgebase...

I've always cut bevel mounts by hand with a Logan and a straight-edge, but was recently given the old board cutter shown in the attached pictures.

The person I got it from had no idea how it was used and I'm having problems working it out, never having used one myself before. It would be really useful to me at the moment as I have a whole bunch of mounts to cut for a show.

The only identifying markings are stamped on the cutter itself - Locality Arts Ltd, and a Patent number. It's pretty old, but looks serviceable.

Has anyone got one - or seen one - like this? Any advice on how to set it up for cutting would be much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RSH_2322.jpg   RSH_2323.jpg  
    Roy
    ----------------
    Real Photographs | Weeping Ash U.K.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "We cannot compete with those English fellows."
    - overheard by Alfred Stieglitz at the Joint Exhibition, New York City, 1891.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like it should work a lot like the Logan 650 I have. The blade is in the handle mount and the rail hinges at the front so you can slip the mat board and backer under it. The back stop is set for the border width and the side stop holds the mat while cutting. The thumbscrew stops are limits so you can set up a cut and repeat several without having to mark the matboard. It looks like the cut is made drawing towards the sidestop that is mounted on the backstop. In other words you will be standing at the far end in the picture and pulling the handle towards you. You will need to be sure and hold the mat against the back while cutting to keep the cut from pulling out of square.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Google .... > "locality arts" cutter <
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm

mystery mountcutter

I have used one of these mountcutters for years, its a bit ancient compared to modern ones but does the job, but is very simple to use when you get the hang. If you dont get on with it and want to sell I would like another one as mine is a bit tatty now. All the best geoff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Logan has, in my experience, great phone customer support. Try contacting them.

http://www.logangraphic.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff44 View Post
    I have used one of these mountcutters for years, its a bit ancient compared to modern ones but does the job, but is very simple to use when you get the hang. If you dont get on with it and want to sell I would like another one as mine is a bit tatty now. All the best geoff
    Geoff, I did actually manage to contact the original maker back in 2008 and he very kindly sent me printed instructions on how to use this cutter.
    I do use it often, so am unlikely to part with it I'm afraid...
    Roy
    ----------------
    Real Photographs | Weeping Ash U.K.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "We cannot compete with those English fellows."
    - overheard by Alfred Stieglitz at the Joint Exhibition, New York City, 1891.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin