Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,670   Posts: 1,481,781   Online: 1053

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: waxing prints

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is an Art Supply Store product called Crystal Clear. It is made by Krylon and will 'go on clear - stay clear', that I've tried just once. It works. It will add dMax and a layer of protection and is moisture proof. It is an acrylic spray that does not contain fluorocarbons.
    If you choose to try this I would suggest a throw away finished print before committing to a finished display print.

Liquitex the brand name of company that makes a wide variety of artists colours and mediums. The Acrylic Gloss Medium is basically an acrylic polymer emulsion for thinning and glazing, and as such has the same archival issues. It comes in two basic types for rigid or flexible surfaces and can be diluted in water, once dry it cannot be removed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What sort of 'issues' ?

Clay.... It turns out that synthetic varnishes and polymer mediums were not the boon to the art world as was first thought in the '60s. Art conservators began seeing problems with yellowing, bloom & dead looking surfaces on artworks. It was most apparent in cases of coating.
    For platinum printers that are using PVAs similar problems could occur within 10 years. (I have read some of the research done on PVAs by conservators at the National Gallery of Canada.)

I have a bottle of older polymer medium similar to Liquitex that has turned yellow... This would probably not be very noticeable when used as a pigment extender but used undiluted as a glaze it would be. Although manufactures have apparently improved polymer medium formulas there is still doubt and some artists have moved away from synthetic varnishes and returned to traditional resins for coating. I guess each artist must decide if it is an 'issue' or not.... Sorry if I sounded cryptic or alarmist.... Not my intention.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Aggie, Much older than 5 years, I have a tendency to hoard art supplies even if they are no longer useful...... these days I am even removing emulsions from long outdated FB papers to use for substrates for practicing Alt Processes... they take the coatings beautifully but are probably not archival.... Cheers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The liquitex bottle claims to be non-yellowing. Probably at least as believable as the claims for 80-100 year life on 'archival pigment inks' . At the extreme dilution I use the stuff, I'm not really worried. The paper will probably start yellowing long before that stuff does.

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What does the term

DMAX

mean?

ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka
    What does the term

DMAX

mean?

ka
    Dmax stands for "Maximum Density."

Dmin is "Minimum Densirty."
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, Ed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin