Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,850   Online: 849

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: waxing prints

I've recently read that Weston 'waxed' his prints. Has anyone any pointers where I can get info on this process?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I believe that Light Impressions carries something they call Renaissance Wax. I believe this is the type of wax used on photographs. I think Strand used varnish on some of his work.

I've tried it on my platinum prints. I didn't think it made much difference.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Thanks Joe, I'll check that out

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wax gumovers with Gamblin Cold Wax Medium. I get a clean t-shirt, dip some wax out, and rub it on the print. After it is covered, I buff first with another piece of T-shirt material and then finish it off with a horsehair shoe shine buffing brush. It will add a little Dmax and a little pop to your shadow contrast. Frankly, I don't see the point with traditional silver prints, but it can give matte hand coated prints a little more 'presence'.

Thanks Clay.
    I'm building some triptichs mounted on wooden panels and I'm using fineart paper for the prints so I'm trying for a tad more dmax and slight sheen. I've been using beesway and using an iron to melt the stuff on but it isn't working too well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Gamblin wax is a lot easier to use, since you don't need heat it or anything. It doesn't appear to be gooey or soak through paper, but just gives a nice slightly shiny surface that sits on top of the paper. I like it for gumovers because it makes the highlight 'sheen' about the same as the shinier shadows (Because the gum layer is thicker in the more dense areas of the print). I know other people use Renaissance wax, but it seemed to have a stronger petrochemical smell to it when I opened the can, so I just stuck with the Gamblin, which seems to work fine. I know that a lot of painters use the stuff, so I assume it's track record is okay.

Another trick is to use Liquetex gloss acrylic medium diluted 1:10 with distilled water, and just dip the entire print in it. This finish is even more subtle, but I measured about a .1 to .15 increase in Dmax on some platinum prints that I treated in this way.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clay
    is okay.

Another trick is to use Liquetex gloss acrylic medium diluted 1:10 with distilled water, and just dip the entire print in it. This finish is even more subtle, but I measured about a .1 to .15 increase in Dmax on some platinum prints that I treated in this way.
    What kind of product is this and where do you purchase it?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Let me ask, how about paraffin. Here in Mexico they sell candles with very pure paraffin, the candles are very, very white. So I was thinking this would be a good "wax" if applied thin enough and polished well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    >What kind of product is this and where do you purchase it?

It is available in every art store I've ever been in. It is Liquitex Acrylic Gloss Medium. It is used like a gesso substitute, I think. Sort of a blueish white pasty stuff that once diluted is pretty watery. Gives a subtle bump to your prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin