Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,406   Online: 965

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Portfolios

The most suggested form is the easiest to look at, loose prints in clear poly sleeves. Mounted and matted prints are generally a waste of money if presented to a gallery. Any gallery owner worth their money will know what the prints will look like when matted and many would rather not have the prints mounted for presentation. Always contact the galleries you are intending to show your work to prior to presentation to get their desired presentation method. Loose prints also allow the gallery to handel the prints freely for possible edit and arrangement.

Lots of conflicting advice here. Mine is NEVER use those poly sleeves. To see the prints properly, they must be removed and for a gallery owner that is time consuming and unnecessary. Most will not bother to remove the sleeves--and hence, the work will not be properly seen. In that situation, there should be nothing between the print and the viewer.

Mounted and matted is best unless the prints are very large, in which case unmounted is fine.

And has been said: no slipsheets. Make it easy for them.

And no white gloves. They are insulting. If you feel a gallery does not know how to handle prints, why would you show them your work?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi I'm in the middle of putting together a simple portfolio.
    It's going to be 12x16 inch prints which I'm having mounted.
    It'll be carried around in a 23x19 inch art folder, the mounted prints placed in sleeves.
    Now if you'll excuse my ignornace of these such matters, could somebody tell me what you all mean by matted, ie mounted and matted.
    Thanks.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Mats are the over mat that has the hole in the board and the mounted means it is stuck to a piece of mat board and the mat is on top of it all. The mat's function after making it look nice is to keep the photograpic image from touching the glass when it is framed.

lee\c

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks Lee.
    I guess I'm getting mine mounted and matted then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin