Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,804   Online: 682

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Stamping the back of a print. Stamp sources?

I'm interested in a custom rubber (or whatever) stamp for the back* of my mounted/matted prints as my handwriting is really bad and usually ends up crooked. What type of ink/pad should I get and where (online?) should I get it?
    *on the back of the matt board

I'm thinking about 3"x4" size with:
    Vinny Walsh Photography

Title:
    Print size:
    Print #:
    Print Type:
    Image Date:
    Print Date:
    my website

thanks
    vinny
    Last edited by wildbill; 12-24-2008 at 11:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've not used a stamp primarily because of the possibility of it not registering completely, or smudging etc. Instead, I've used Avery inkjet labels (they come in a large variety of sizes) with their software for setting up what you want to print on them. I print up a number of sheets in advance, and then fill them out and apply them as the prints are finished. The only handwriting is my signature, and the title of the print.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Several years ago I also gave up a stamp in favor of Avery labels. I keep generic ones printed and for special prints I make special labels.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.zippystamp.com/

they'll make anything you want Vinny..and I set up an account there a few years ago if that's needed.
    I found it easier to call them as the website is...blah
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blaze-on View Post
    http://www.zippystamp.com/

...the website is...blah
    I tried to take a look at their product line, but apparently they won't let you look at anything they're selling until you preregister with all of your personal information. No thanks.

Did I miss the secret decoder ring backdoor entrance, or something??

Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John, good point about the smudging or registering, I've dealt with that for my address stamps.
    I have some Avery labels but like any other adhesive sticker, I'm sure they'll turn yellow and/or deteriorate over time. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think ink is pretty permanent.
    Matt, I'll look into zippystamp.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They deal with a lot of retailers, hence the account set-up. Standard practice
    They have self-inking stamps, which is best for this application and ink that has a permanence suited for this as well.
    Talk to them Vinny
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I've been looking for the same thing, but I think I want to stick with (no pun intended - really!) the labels. Here are two sources I'm looking at:
    http://www.genealogicalstorageproducts.com/index.html and
    http://www.archivalsuppliers.com/pro...ation=387-5352

I think I will go with the first one as they are a little less expensive. Then it is just a matter of setting up your own template, or in my case, having someone who knows what they're doing set a template up for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blaze-on View Post
    They deal with a lot of retailers, hence the account set-up. Standard practice.
    Fair enough, I suppose.

Like the OP I have also been looking for some way to attach information to the back of the mount board. While ink stamps do seem the way to go, smudging also seems like an inevitability now and then. Especially in my case...

What about (laser) printing onto an appropriate paper, then simply dry mounting (if that's one's mounting choice to begin with) onto the back of the mount? This could be done as a single sandwich in a single pass through the press. If it's permanent for the print - some might say too permanent - it should be likewise for the information sheet. However, I'm not knowledgable regarding the keeping properties and longevity of fused toners.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 12-24-2008 at 03:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Fair enough, I suppose.

Like the OP I have also been looking for some way to attach information to the back of the mount board. While ink stamps do seem the way to go, smudging also seems like an inevitability now and then. Especially in my case...

What about (laser) printing onto an appropriate paper, then simply dry mounting (if that's one's mounting choice to begin with) onto the back of the mount? This could be done as a single sandwich in a single pass through the press. If it's permanent for the print - some might say too permanent - it should be likewise for the information sheet. However, I'm not knowledgable regarding the keeping properties and longevity of fused toners.

Ken
    You don't want to use a laser printer, laser printers use a plastic powder (toner) that is heated to melt it into the paper, if the mounting press is hot enough, it can melt the printing and make for either a poor image, or a mess in the press. An ink jet printer would be better for this kind of thing, the inks are typically not affected as much by heat. Another option would be to make up an artwork, with several copies, photograph the artwork, print that is a photograph, cut them apart and attach one to the back of the mat. Use a chemically inert pen or marker to fill in the details.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin