Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,321   Posts: 1,536,861   Online: 1128

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Waterproofing a print

I'm just getting the family bathroom redone and see a need/opportunity to embellish one wall with a couple of photos. While most of us will have used a bathroom as a darkroom at some point in our lives, I found the forum strangely quiet when I searched for some info on hanging prints in there.

It struck me that the obvious way would be to laminate the prints, but even that pretty much yielded a blank in the search. Your thoughts/experiences would be helpful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just go on the assumption I'll have to replace them in a couple of years. My apartment is old enough to not have a vent fan. But nor do I take scalding hot, steamy showers.

In my experience./apartment, RC Prints are good for about 2.5-3 years. FB prints tend to wrinkle pretty badly after only a year at most. So I stay with RC prints.

I don't think laminating will last forever against moisture intrusion, and I have yet to find one that doesn't yellow with age.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you get your prints laminated with an encapsulation process, they will last a very long time. There are some laminating films which cover both sides of the print and bond to each other at the edges. As long as they are trimmed slightly oversize (1/4" or more) and you do not break the seal, you should have no worries. Go with the thickest film you can for rigidity and flatness. I used to do both hot and cold laminating of this type. GBC is one name you could Google for more information. I have prints at least 15 years old with no signs of deterioration.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by richard ide View Post
    If you get your prints laminated with an encapsulation process, they will last a very long time. There are some laminating films which cover both sides of the print and bond to each other at the edges. As long as they are trimmed slightly oversize (1/4" or more) and you do not break the seal, you should have no worries. Go with the thickest film you can for rigidity and flatness. I used to do both hot and cold laminating of this type. GBC is one name you could Google for more information. I have prints at least 15 years old with no signs of deterioration.
    The laminator I have access to at work uses pouches, so both sides of the print would be covered. I'm thinking the laminator probably only works on A4 sized paper (or smaller) but it would be a good starting point.

Thanks, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've done it this way with a couple of prints,and two years in they are still fine.
    One was in a clip frame, t'other in conventional glass.
    -Cover the back with aluminium foil,and seal edges with packing tape.

Shooter
    35mm
    Most good labs can laminate a print. Not something you would normally want to do, except for commercial applications, but perfect as well for your application.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used Plat-It for mounting prints that I want to display because it is a lot cheaper than having photographs mounted and framed. The Plak-Ited photographs displayed in my and my friends bathrooms have survived years of daily shower without any degradation or loss.

YMMV,

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Smudger
    Packing tape is good for nothing else especially the cheap ones. You will be sorry later. Most of it is real garbage. Beware.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Check out pres-on adhesive mounts. They're out of Chicago, IL. and they have a wide variety of mounting substrates (including plastic, aluminum, and I believe even a face mount plexi) for very reasonable prices.

Sirius, what's "Plat-it"?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i agree with steve

plak-mounts will survive a wet bathroom ...

they look nice too

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I have used Plat-It for mounting prints that I want to display because it is a lot cheaper than having photographs mounted and framed. The Plak-Ited photographs displayed in my and my friends bathrooms have survived years of daily shower without any degradation or loss.

YMMV,

Steve
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin