Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,281   Online: 1057

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No contact sheets - 120/220 film. Negative sleeves, dated, labled with description of content, organized by dividers in a three-ring binder by content or project. As I shoot some images for clients (projects) These are kept separate from my 'art shots' which I organize by content and date.

Nothing fancy, but it works for me.
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I cannot use YYYYMMDD-rollnumber-framenumber system because I am using four cameras and one of them has interchangeable film back. So I can have a roll in a camera for a couple of months and use a camera that was loaded earlier or has a new roll in it.

This is a direct fallout of G.A.S.

Steve
    Maybe just year and roll number, the other option is to pick a date, for example date loaded, date unloaded, date processed. Probably the date unloaded or date processed makes the most sense. The date loaded requires that you track the date somewhere, if your shooting it all in one day, the load date and unload date will be the same, and if your shooting it over a month or more then the load date doesn't really matter.

Another option is to keep a constables note pad, with a page for each camera/back, then keep notes on your images. I tried this once, in the heat of shooting though, it's easy to forget to take your notes.

What the heck is G.A.S.?
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    What the heck is G.A.S.?
    Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Q.E.D.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Color or black and white, 35mm, 120, 4x5 - whatever.

1. I use PrintFile archiving, so I can make notes on each set of negatives.
    2. I record in Chronological order, for instance: 2007-04_001-05 means:
    Year 2007
    Month 04
    Print File# 001
    Frame 05
    If you shoot more than 999 rolls of film per month, you can use four digits for the third part of the nomenclature. If you shoot less than 100, you can use two. But who knows what number films you might be shooting in the future.

So, I scan all of these and keep those as proofs, labeled according to above nomenclature.
    Then I keep an Excel spread sheet with developing information for all of those rolls. E6 and C41 too.

There's a lot to be gained from a system like this.

I keep the negatives in folders that contain all of the negatives, contact sheets (if any) and print records year for year, but I'm going to start employing a vertical drawer system with hanging files.

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by ted_smith View Post
    With my digital camera, each photo has a unique incremental number, e.g DSC12345. When\if I buy a new one I can tell it to start from the number of my previous camera. This enables me and any customers to uniquely request\find an image from my archive.

With film, I am struggling to devise a system that's not too labour intensive to enable me to keep track of my film shots in the same way. For example, if I shot 36 exposures at a given shoot, and 5 are almost exactly the same, when the cutomer see's the scanned in versions of the image I don't want to accidentally send the wrong frame to the lab for printing. I want to know that the one that has been asked for is the one I send to the lab, even if there are several that look very similar, and perhaps indistinguishable from the negatives.

What method do you guys use to keep track of your films and individual frames as your archive grows?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Every LF negative is dated and sequenced in the format YYMMDD-nn so the first sheet from today will be 090110-01. For roll film I use the same code except that I add the frame number on the end so the second frame on the third roll I exposed yesterday would be 090109-03-02. The sequence is unique across all formats used in a day so it's not necessarily in order (although I like it to be). The advantages to me are that it's simple (so I can understand it), it supports any film/camera/lens/etc that I happen to pick up, and it also allows records/scans to be sorted easily on my computer.

phc
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    I can often use many films in a day, in at least two cameras, so I number each roll as it goes in with year, month, day, hour and minute, i.e. yymmddhhmm. Frames are then numbered as they are on the film. So frame 24 on the film I would put in right now would be 0901101745/24. I've been using this system for years, sometimes estimating the time later as I'm loading film so fast.

It's also useful to be able to look back and see where you were when you loaded the film.

Cheers, P.
    paulhardycarter.com <<< Pictures and blog.
    twitter <<< My twitter feed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I cannot use YYYYMMDD-rollnumber-framenumber system because I am using four cameras and one of them has interchangeable film back. So I can have a roll in a camera for a couple of months and use a camera that was loaded earlier or has a new roll in it.

This is a direct fallout of G.A.S.

Steve
    I just label the roll with the date of when I finished the film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    I just label the roll with the date of when I finished the film.
    Same here, more or less. I usually can finish a given roll within a few days or a week, and I try to batch process like films (eg C-41, B&W films of same dev time). Whichever roll had the earliest start date gets the lowest roll number, as best as I can remember.

I try to keep track of dates I use a roll, when one stretches over several days. I've got most of my film backs/bodies labeled with an erasable writing sticker I can mark on.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin