Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,250   Online: 1109

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

web domains--short and sweet, or full name?

If this is the wrong spot for this question I'm sure the moderator will put it where it goes.

For those of you who have websites and are actually hoping for them to be found , what are your opinions re domain names?

I am revamping my website (not yet live) and trying to decide which of three domain names to use. Choices are:

mikesebastianphoto.com: currently the one I use
    mikesebphoto.com: less typing, easier to spell, no full name in domain name
    michaelsebastian.com: my whole, "proper" name, more typing, harder to spell (for some!)

The plan is to choose one and then point the other two towards the primary choice. I'm wondering if the -photo suffix is redundant; however, my full name is a lot to type.

Currently, googling variations of my name turns me up pretty decently near the top of the page; the "mike sebastian" variant seems to do the best--it's been in the longest use. Using either first-name variant + last name + "louisville" or "photographer" finds me high on the page.

What do you all think? Does it really matter? Am I obsessing overmuch about this? (probably).

And in case anyone is wondering...easily 90+% of the work on the site is film-based.

Thanks gang!
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    It seems to me like your name would be the easiest to remember- something like "mikeseb" seems more easily forgotten or confused unless it's something you go by professionally. I am a big fan of full names, since it is memorable and clearly tied to you (as opposed so something like "dark syde imagez," which doesn't exactly scream professional either but could definitely be a bad Flickr watermark). If you work as "Michael Sebastian," I would stick as closely to that as possible.

This is my gut instinct though- I am sure there are others on here with more years of practical experience than I've been living.
    Photoblog, though I'll warn you it's only mostly analog.

Shooter
    35mm
    Here's the dealio from my ubermarketing buddy. 99% of the traffic will come to your website through links. From a marketing perspective it is far more important that they remember your name. Use your name.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSeb View Post
    If this is the wrong spot for this question I'm sure the moderator will put it where it goes.

For those of you who have websites and are actually hoping for them to be found , what are your opinions re domain names?

I am revamping my website (not yet live) and trying to decide which of three domain names to use. Choices are:

mikesebastianphoto.com: currently the one I use
    mikesebphoto.com: less typing, easier to spell, no full name in domain name
    michaelsebastian.com: my whole, "proper" name, more typing, harder to spell (for some!)

The plan is to choose one and then point the other two towards the primary choice. I'm wondering if the -photo suffix is redundant; however, my full name is a lot to type.

Currently, googling variations of my name turns me up pretty decently near the top of the page; the "mike sebastian" variant seems to do the best--it's been in the longest use. Using either first-name variant + last name + "louisville" or "photographer" finds me high on the page.

What do you all think? Does it really matter? Am I obsessing overmuch about this? (probably).

And in case anyone is wondering...easily 90+% of the work on the site is film-based.

Thanks gang!
    I sent you a PM on this.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mike I would go with your real full name..

michaelsebastian.com

thats what I did..(Sort of!) Keep it simple and direct so that people that are not sure of the address can even guess it and find you if they know your name. Once you become the MAIN Mike Sebastion because of the power of your work, you will jump right to the top of the google list!

I agree with J about the most hits comming from links thing. Recently I got a bunch of hits from Argentina and tried to figure out why! Then I did some research on my pags stats software and found out that some guy had put a link to my page and one of my photos on his blog (probably in Argentina). The other place I get lots of hits from is a Russian blog that posted a link to my page, check out the links if your interested. Once you post your stuff online you will find it sort of starts a life of its own independent of you.

http://buy-books.ru/blog/gerry_yaum-thai_life.html

http://adncultura.lanacion.com.ar/we...erle/index.asp

www.gerryyaum.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Gerry, appreciate your thoughts--and the rest of you too.

Your post illustrates my "dilemma" (all life's conundrums should be so minor!): you misspelled my name ("...Once you become the MAIN Mike Sebastion...")!

All those vowels just trip folks up. Or it's Sabastion. Or Sebastien. Sigh.

michaelsebastian.com it will be. I'll post a link once I'm live--hopefully by week's end. In the meantime, my signature links are defunct.

I have a lot to learn about SEO and other exotic fields of knowledge.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    I just googled Michael Sebastion. First thing up? "Did you mean Michael Sebastian?"

No worries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good advice from Gerry, just how much do you want to "Pay" Mike I'm just registering your Domain name now

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    @ian: scoundrel! "Millons for defense, not a penny for tribute!..."

@jbrunner: thank god google is smarter than I am, and far less neurotic. I really need to get out more. Friggin' weather is killing me.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Keep it simple, easy to remember. Another vote for using your name.

www.mergross.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin