Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,741   Posts: 1,515,559   Online: 1024

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    fdi,let us know when you will selling the 4 ply Bainbridge rag,can you order 6 ply by any chance?

Mike

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mike c View Post
    fdi,let us know when you will selling the 4 ply Bainbridge rag,can you order 6 ply by any chance?

Mike
    Will do Mike. I am not aware of Bainbridge offering a 6-ply in their Alpharag mat board line, but just everyone else's 8-Ply matboard looks like a 6-Ply mat compared to Alpharag.

Cheers,
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well OK Mark,I'll get a order started up here soon ,have to Finnish up what I started a while back.

Mike

We are Lodima Archival Materials and are sponsors of APUG and I am surprised how few orders we get from APUG members and that we are not even mentioned in a thread like this.

We have no minimums and no custom sizes--all sizes are custom to us. No extra charge for say 15.5 x 19.5 as opposed to 16 x 20. All board is absolute highest quality AlphaRag ArtCare. We also have AlphaMat, but do not recommend it. We have 7 colors of white, Pure White, White, Pearl White, Antique White, Natural White, Ivory, Cream, and, although it is not on our web site, we have black. We have boards in 2-ply, 4-ply, and 8-ply, and even 1-ply for the ultimate in interleaving.

And because of our low overhead I believe we have the lowest prices to be found anywhere. Our service is prompt and our packing is exemplary. Since we are photographers ourselves, and very demanding ones at that, we take the greatest care. And also, because we are photographers we can, and do, make recommendations regarding mat board sizes, overmat sizes, dimensions of borders, etc.

We have a computerized mat cutter for boards up to 40 x 60. And our charge for cutting overmats is very reasonable--only $1 for a window cut for large enough quantities.

Of course we have Archival ArtCare Foam Core, too--3/16-inch or 1/8 inch. We do not recommend ever mounting onto foam core. We use the foam core as the backing in frames--never use those spring clips that are provided in the hardware package.

We also have Nielsen frames--at great prices--any profile, any color. You must inquire about that as frames are also not on our web site. Making photographs takes a lot of time, as does publishing our Lodima Press books, so getting everything on the web site is the weak spot. One of these days . . .

Take a look and compare. I think you will be most pleased with what you see. http://www.lodimaarchivalmaterials.com

Thank you.
    Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    Large Format
    I buy all my board from Lodima Archival Materials. They have great service, material and I'm supporting some great people.

chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have switched over to Documounts in Portland, OR for all of my matt board needs. They came as a suggestion from David J. Eisenlord after seeing some of his beautiful prints mounted with 8-ply board. As any of you know that have tried to cut 8-ply, you can have more waste than success cutting them by hand. Even with 4-ply, there was some waste. Now all boards come cut exactly to my specifications with perfect corners. Their packaging is impeccable and their turn around time very good. And their website is extremely easy to use. You choose all of your sizing requirements right online, place your order and perfect Alpharag matts show up at the doorstep. No set-up fees. No emailing back and forth or calls needed. And for custom, pre-cut matts, I believe their prices are competitive if not less expensive than any I've seen out there. I highly recommend them and have no affiliation whatsoever.

www.documounts.com

Since I am always interested in what others are doing in the mat board world, I checked out, on Bill Schwab's recommendation Documounts to see what their prices were and how easy it was to navigate their web site.

It took me quite a while to find prices and what I found surprised me. Photographers are usually pretty tight about what they will spend on film, paper, mat board--the materials they use, but think nothing of spending way too much money on cameras and lenses. So I was surprised at the extremely high prices of the mat board from Documounts and wondered

Here is a comparison between Documents and our Lodima Archival Materials for the same AlphaRag mat board--4-ply
    Documounts Lodima
    16x20 1-3 11.34 3.84
    16x20 4-7 9.41 3.84
    16x20 8-15 7.12 3.84 to 10, after 3.59

Now for 8-ply
    16x20

Whoops, I do not know how that got sent. I will continue

8 ply Documounts Lodima
    16x20 1-3 27.56 8.37
    16x20 4-7 21.63 8.37
    16x20 8-15 16.64 8.37 to 10, after 7.84

And so on, thoughout all of the sizes and prices.

I could not find any prices for custom-cut overmats on the Documount site, but then, I could not spend a lot of time trying to find them. Their pre-cut mats for 8x10 and for 11x14 are quite reasonable--low in fact, but I do not know anyone who would use a pre-cut mat. All of our mats are custom cut. We use 13x15 as a convenience size for 8x10, not 11x14, which is too small, and our mats leave some space around the mounted print. (13x15 is the same price from us as 11x14) It appears that Documount does not allow for that, near as I could tell.

So, those of you with deep pockets, use Documounts. I am sure their service is excellent. But if you are like most photographers and want to save 50% or significantly more (!) then do try Lodima Archival Materials.

Additionally, since we are photographers ourselves, we can, and do, make recommendations as to mat board sizes. We are photographers. Lodima Archival Materials came into being first of all to serve our own needs, and then we figured that we could be of service to the greater photographic community. So, come to our web site and take a look, http://www.lodimaarchivalmaterials.com.

And we are sponsors of APUG and could use your support.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I cut my own 8-ply (8x10 holes in a 16x20 board -- not big) -- Logan cutter, one of the inexpensive ones, but I use to use just a straight edge. Judging from the prices for custom cutting 8-ply, I will continue to do my own! I can mess up a lot of mats and still be ahead -- and I rarely mess up a mat, knock on wood...usually just on a rush job with the last piece of mat board I have on hand.

But I do not find cutting the 8-ply too difficult once I get started and get my system calibrated for the thicker board. Doing multiple passes has really helped me to prevent mis-cuts and bad corners.

I have emailed Lodima Archival Materials to see if I can get a sample of their 8-ply boards. I have always used Light Impressions' Natural White 8-ply rag, but would like to find another source of a similar type of white.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Price comparison: the documounts price includes the window cut. So, a comparison would be
    16x20 alpharag w/window cut:
    documounts=$11.34
    lodima=13.84 (3.84 +5+5)

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin