Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,648   Posts: 1,481,286   Online: 724

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Taking digital photos of my analogue prints

I have to take digital images of my analogue images and I only have a compact digital Nikon Cyber Vision for the job. I am experimenting with lights and zoom on and off and getting nice results with the 4x zoom on, generally greyer and grainer than the greener effect I get when widest angle. I am not editing them after I load them onto my Apple Mac, just cropping. I would be delighted to hear how you handle this job. I am doing it reluctantly. I have a set of lith prints I need to digitalise too for a course application and for web page so any advice appreciated. I am not going to buy any other digital camera but I could work from the negatives if I get access to a scanner for the non lith copies but I have not tried this yet. Thanks

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've moved this to the "Presentation & Marketing" forum, which is where discussions about getting stuff on the web for the galleries, APUG Portfolios and individual websites seems to happen.

This is pretty much straight copy work. If you're stuck with a P&S camera with a fixed zoom, then generally set the zoom to the middle of the optical zoom range to minimize distortion. I've done it with a Nikon Coolpix 990, recently upgraded to a Canon 40D, mainly so that I could use better lenses and for the extra resolution when digitizing negs and transparencies.

I have a copy stand that I leave set up all the time with two Norman LH-2 portable strobe heads and 16" Octabox-type diffusers carefully angled to produce even light and no reflections. Traditionally the lights should be at a 45-degree angle to the copy surface, but since I have them fairly close in, they are at 30 degrees to the copy surface so the diffusers themselves are not reflected in the surface of prints. I also use a 5000K light pad with the strobes off for digitizing negs and transparencies.

For larger work, I use two LH-2000 heads each in plain 5" reflectors at 45 degrees to the copy surface.

Some people cross polarize. I usually find I don't need to for photographs that are flat. If you photograph work with texture, like oil paintings, you may want to cross polarize.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Many thanks for your advice, I will try it out although I don't have any lighting you mention I will experiment. thanks again

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the prints are smaller that 8.5 x 11 you can get a refurbished scanner from Epson for a good price. I paid $100 for a 4490 Photo scanner with free shipping.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks, would I get better results from scanning the prints compared to taking digital photos?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by carmenloofah View Post
    thanks, would I get better results from scanning the prints compared to taking digital photos?
    Yes... much better, unless the paper is very textured, in which case a scanner can emphasize that.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks, I will look into scanning costs for lith prints project I have and I also need to have all my negatives scanned

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What size are the prints?

Shooter
    35mm
    the lith prints are approx 10 x 8 mounted on museum board

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    8x10s can fit in an epson 4990 / 750 flatbed...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin