Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,773   Posts: 1,516,585   Online: 1005

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Help!! Website:PC/Mac display difference!!

Hi,

I have set up a website (www.thomasstanworth.com) but the colours, contrast etc are so radically different on a Mac vs the PCs I set it up on! I have access to two PCs and set it up so it worked well for both (and other PCs I have seen it on) but seeing it on a Mac - image hue/saturation is hideous! The pale and mid grey tones on the page bckground are instead ultra pale and the subtle warm tones are instead sickly sepia. If I set up the images for the Mac standard settings, then on a PC the images look overly dark low contrast and basically dead, which is not what I want!

I realise that there may be all sorts of calibration issues here, but the Macs are so incredibly different that i wonder whether there is a solution that deals with this apparent gulf. I saw under the display settings for the Mac I now have constant access to that you can switch the screen gamma between the standard for the Mac (1.8) and that for the PC (2.2) and the preview option showed that this makes a huge difference. Is this the issue?

Can anyone advise me on how to tackle the huge gulf between Mac and PC display? Its a macro difference rather than a tweaks issue - I just can't believe the difference! Iwas hoping to tweak the image hue on a number of images which need some adjustment but they ALL look awful on the Mac!!!!

Rgds

PS I fully admit to being a digital/computer/website rookie! I just reset the Mac to medium screen brightness and a gamma of 2.2 and it is a better match but still very different!
    Last edited by Tom Stanworth; 01-30-2009 at 11:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try a grey tone scale on the Mac, it may way off, there's one here in the Library page. It's a Tiff file but you can save as a JPEG.

Site looks fine on my laptop.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If the images you're using are GIFs then I doubt this is your problem, but just in case if you're using JPEGs:

Safari on the Mac is one of the very few browsers that correctly interprets the colour space of images and renders them accordingly. If the images are coming out of Photoshop marked up as 'Adobe RGB' colourspace or similar, then Safari will convert the colours accordingly to display. Internet Explorer et al just dumbly ignore the colourspace setting and treat everything as sRGB.

To make sure all browsers show images the same, make sure when you export the photos from Photoshop (or whatever) you convert the colour profile to 'sRGB'. Safari will then obey the colour space in the file and render it as sRGB (IE will carry on ignoring what's in the file and display as sRGB regardless, but that's what you want of course.)
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I don't know what they are supposed to look like, but it looks fine on my Mac. You may want to try a different profile in Photoshop for your images that is better suited for web display. I see you used Flash for the design of your site, if you have Fireworks as well, you can prep your images in bulk for the web with different options that may be better suited for you. My site uses a Flash plug-in that made the images extra blurry, so I had to over-sharpen them in Photoshop to make them display properly on the web. Sometimes you just have to do weird stuff to make it work.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks all! I have opened them in Safari (on both the Mac and PC) and they look the same as in Firefox so there is at least parity between the various browsers (well thats one variable that seems to be OK!) - they are all jpegs and seem to have been output in sRGB. The difference between Mac and PC remains however.

Now I think I will have to view the site on as wide a variety of 'untweaked' laptops as possible to ensure the best balance overall. I guess I cannot hope for people to have calibrated monitors etc so will have to go for some sort of an average. I think I will tone down the saturation a little so that at worst they will appear cool and straight mono rather than jaundiced on those screens pushing out higher saturation (this seems to be what the Mac is doing vs the PCs). I have noticed that the saturation is higher on the newer PCs I have been looking at it on and lowest saturation on my old compaq.

Is there a very noticeable sepia hue as you are viewing it or is it overall fairly subtle (allowing for the image to image variation which i will deal with)??

Thanks all for your help... such fast responses!

Rgds,

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On my hyper neurotically calibrated Mac, it looks awesome...safari, + firefox = same

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Set the Mac to 2.2 to to a Mac site for directions on simple calibration.
    Easy. Yours is off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth View Post
    Is there a very noticeable sepia hue as you are viewing it or is it overall fairly subtle (allowing for the image to image variation which i will deal with)??
    I see a noticeable sepia hue, but it is fairly subtle - if that's not a confusing answer! Not the kind of sickly hue that sepia can get, but a light sepia. Definitely there. I like slight colour tones rather than heavy ones, and it looks good to me. Many of them look like no more than a very warm-toned image.

I'm looking on a Mac CRT monitor calibrated and set at gamma 2.2

I think they look good. And the photographs themselves are excellent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On Firefox you may need to enter 'about:config' (no quotes) like a URL and then look for color management settings and enable them, usually a boolean value set TRUE. Depending on your computer, OS, and how you got Firefox, color management may be on or off. I'm on a PC box, but using linux with Firefox and color management enabled, screen set to 2.2, and your web page looks very good.

Nothing to report on here Safari or MSIE.

Lee

phc
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm using a current iMac 24 and it looks pretty good to me. Pretty damn good as a matter of fact!

I've always felt that these things vary so much that all you can do is calibrate your monitor, get the pics looking the best you can, and set them free. They'll look a little different on every monitor out there, be they Mac or PC.

Cheers, Paul.
    paulhardycarter.com <<< Pictures and blog.
    twitter <<< My twitter feed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin