Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,322   Posts: 1,536,878   Online: 1110

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are also a number of other ways to get your work in front of people. The work should be cohesive, and consistent. You should decide on the size of the prints, and whether you want to edition them or not ahead of time. Some people eition different sizes... I can't get my head around that, so I've offered mine only in an edition size of 10 for 20x24 inch prints, mounted and matted.

Bear in mind... I haven't sold any! So, take this advice for what it's worth!

You need to do your research and identify galleries that would be a good fit for you. You might think about attending portfolio reviews. This costs money, but so does flying all over Europe or the states or wherever to meet each gallery separately. Although, it's full now, PhotoLucida does reviews in Portland, OR every other year. It's coming up in April. Likewise, Fotofest in Houston has four days of reviews every other year. It will happen again in March 2010. Google it, and you can find information. PhotoLucida also does an online review process called Critical Mass each fall. If you get into the top 175, then your work will be seen by 200 reviewers... gallerists, curators, publishers.

It helps to get your work into juried shows as well. Pick juried competitions that have a juror who would respond favorably to your work, and if you can find local and regional shows, you'll save on shipping when you have to send a print for display. Google Mary Virginia Swanson, and follow her blog. She is a "marketing fine art photography" guru. You might also keep an eye of the Texas Photographic Website for opportunities.

I realize that most of the sources are U.S. centric, but some of them may have leads or links to European opportunities as well.

It's almost a full time job... getting the work out there. It takes time, patience, a lot of rejection, but if you are confident in the work, you will find with some persistence, that you will get it out there.

It all costs money, of course, and time, and it can be daunting, and the rejections can be disheartening, but I have found the process to be satisfying, and I have a show right now on view as a result of these types of efforts, and another for the summer with a commercial gallery. (Though they may be teetering on the brink... I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic through this, erm... small "bump" in the economy.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last edited by SuzanneR; 02-10-2009 at 12:57 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Double post...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the links and advice Suzanne. I have come to realise how daunting it is. The first stage definitely has to be my choices for the portfolio, and then getting it printed to a standard that I am happy with. France seems to be the photographic Mecca here in Europe, and I am tempted to visit Paris to check out a few of the galleries there too, if only to understand where my style fits in. There are definitely opportunities to exhibit in Brussles and Antwerp, but the number of galleries are limited.

I have enetered some juried shows, and one of the jurors in a show I did well in was a rep from an Antwerp gallery called Gallery 51 (it also has online listings). That is what energised me to do someting about it. The problem is that this is not my day job, and so I am forced to do this in my spare time (not the way to do it as you say).

I appreciate the time you took to respond, and I will definitely follow up on the links and advice you have provided!

Rgds, Kal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    It's almost a full time job...
    It IS a full time job! Don't think otherwise or it isn't going to happen.

Many, if not all galleries are in the tank right now with the current world economy, so you might think about waiting until things start looking up. Better to see someone when they're not in survival mode.

Also... if lighting strikes and you do in fact get someone to take you on, don't consider them if they take more than 50%. That is the norm. Anyone taking more is simply taking advantage of your desire to have representation. There are 1000's of photographers looking for the holy grail. Galleries get many mailers from hopefuil shooters every day and most just get transferred to the garbage. You've really got to be a cut above these days to get a call back. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try though. Just expect A LOT of rejection. That too is the norm.

Good luck!
    Last edited by billschwab; 02-11-2009 at 09:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Bill, I have to wait, given the fact that i have not even selected the protfolio yet, but I do see the merit of your advice Vs the economy. I will Keep at it despite rejections, since I want it to BE my full time job ;-))

K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangheye View Post
    I will Keep at it despite rejections,
    That's the spirit to have. Best to you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    As a practising lawyer, I can assure you that it is possible to have a more than full time job ! Or two or more jobs, that together are way more than a full time job.

(I'm sure that many others here have similar levels of demands on them).

It is possible to have another full time commitment, and still put enough energy and time and commitment into a career in photography, but it will stretch you thin, and your ability to do so will definitely be time limited.

I wish you the best of luck!

Matt

P.S. I just have to share this anecdote. I attended a seminar given by a woman who specializes in helping lawyers interested in changing the directions of their careers - either within the practise of law, or outside it. As such, she had contacts from a lot of legal and legally related employers who were looking to hire. She related receiving an enquiry from one particularly forthright employer who were looking for a part-time lawyer - just 40 hours per week :o.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heh! That is funny Matt.....thanks for the best wishes. K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    Yeah... without the regular paycheck...

Let's see, my non-paying full time jobs... mom, housekeeper, fine art photographer. And my paying a little part-time job... portrait photographer! :o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ....I was thinking workshops as a side earner...but here, I am surrounded by people who want courses on how to turn on their digital compacts..:rolleyes:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin