Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,818   Online: 798

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    The digital projection method is cleverly used by Venture. Once you're lured in by the £25 photoshoot, out comes the projector with the nice coffee and the aggressive marketing spin. I've been in houses with 20x16 portraits of themselves above the fireplace. Freaky, but the projector sold that image.

Do we actually need to use projectors as analogue photographers? What's wrong with showing the client a framed print and saying, this is what I do and this how your print will look?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Gary, I'm with you. Projection has never appealed to me, but to each his own.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday View Post
    The digital projection method is cleverly used by Venture. Once you're lured in by the £25 photoshoot, out comes the projector with the nice coffee and the aggressive marketing spin. I've been in houses with 20x16 portraits of themselves above the fireplace. Freaky, but the projector sold that image.

Do we actually need to use projectors as analogue photographers? What's wrong with showing the client a framed print and saying, this is what I do and this how your print will look?
    Nothing wrong per se, but this is a sales business. People buy photographs based on an emotional connection, and not making use of all the tools we have to help make that connection is crazy.
    I believe so strongly in the quality of a handprinted, custom framed photograph... that is what I do, but the sales process does not play a part in the result. It is important to make that distinction. If we don't sell the idea convincingly then we don't get to make the print for them.

I HATE the Venture sales model, but there are apects of it that work and should be learned from. I have a session fee, and anyone who books is well aware of what that is, and how much they can expect to spend on prints. The hard sell is unethical and no good for repeat business/referals. I want to make a living doing this, but I don't want people to feel gutted the day after they have given me a cheque.

Cheers,
    Ciaran

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's not "crazy" to use whatever sales methods work for you. I prefer to work very simply in all aspects, from my website, to my equipment, to my shoot methods, to my sales techniques. If I were to break out a projector to my clientele, it would be quite off-putting to them. They see me as an artist rather than a portrait photographer; in fact, typically I end up telling them what to order, how I'll frame it, and how the prints will be shown in their home/business. My sales numbers per session are very good, and have increased steadily over the years.

You have to do what suits your style of business, market, and your own personality.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My hatred of Venture is shared, but I did have the pleasure of pointing out to a girl one time that the print she paid £200 for was out of focus and that I would have binned that... rant over.

Ciaran, we are appealing to the same market. My advice to anyone would be to get an exhibition stand and get it displayed in upmarket shopping centres. People will then see your work first hand. We don't need 30 people a week coming into a studio hoping that they will upgrade to a £1000 photo.

No need for words like selenium and archival, just handcrafted fine art portraiture.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ciarin, I've been trying to look at your website, but can't get past your splash page. There don't appear to be any clickable links, and it doesn't redirect anywhere? I'm on Safari as my browser, if that helps.

- CJ

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Cheryl, I have noticed that with you, and I am sure it works very well. As you say, you must work with something that suits you individually and your market. I have played with so many ideas, but was eventually sold on the idea of projection because it is such a useful means of demonstrating - of not having to imagine how something would look, but actually being able to see it. In this instance I've used the word 'crazy' not as an empirical 'nothing else works' point of view, but that we should be open to whatever tools we have at our desposal, to help a client make an informed decision about what it is they want.

I would be very curious to hear a little more about your methods though Cheryl, if you would care to share? I go through framing options, print styles, sizes, how it could be hung and so on, but could not imagine trying to articulate all that with a simple contact sheet.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs View Post
    Ciarin, I've been trying to look at your website, but can't get past your splash page. There don't appear to be any clickable links, and it doesn't redirect anywhere? I'm on Safari as my browser, if that helps.

- CJ
    The website opens fine on my Mac with Firefox. And Ciaran, you have a wonderful site!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarize View Post

I would be very curious to hear a little more about your methods though Cheryl, if you would care to share? I go through framing options, print styles, sizes, how it could be hung and so on, but could not imagine trying to articulate all that with a simple contact sheet.
    I have 4x6 proofs printed for my clients to review. I sit down with them and walk them through the images, taking note of which images impact them the most. If I haven't already done so, I find out what, if anything, they have in mind to do with the images. I'll then put together suggestions of which image(s) I think will be the most effective, and tell the clients which size(s) would look most at home in the space we've selected. I don't give matting and framing options; rather, I'll simply tell them how I feel the print would look best, and they'll let me know if they feel differently. (They generally go with whatever I've recommended. I keep these things very simple.) I usually also do a coffee table book for each client, which makes my life a lot easier -- that way, the clients don't have to decide which images they'll never see again.

I would never show a client a contact sheet. That would generally require me to show EVERY image from a session, which I would never do, and in a format too small to really see.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs View Post

- CJ
    Haha, technology has outdone me - damn flash! I should take a simpler approach like yourself :-)

The link seems to be working for me (IE), but thanks for pointing that out. If anyone else is prepared to visit www.clportraits.co.uk and let me know of any problems, their help would be much appreciated. Please send a pm, I don't want to hijak the thread too much!

Gary, we should keep in touch. I agree with exhibitions in the right places. If we are selling ourselves based on the quality of our prints, then we must have somewhere for people to see them - especially when operating without a studio. I'm toying with the idea of appraching a few estate agents of commercial property. I live in an affluent borough where a number of high street shops sit unoccupied (high rates). Rather than white washed windows, I am going to pitch for some space to hang work. The couple of hundred it might cost will be money better spent, than the few thousand it would cost to advertise in a magazine.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin