Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,746   Online: 884

Shooter
    Medium Format

Advice for selling prints

After many years of contemplation I feel finally brave enough to launch myself as a portrait photographer ( I havent ditched the day job yet). I want to start with Black & White portraits but I havent got a darkroom to develop my own prints.
    My option to sell prints to clients is either to print them on FB with an inkjet printer or ask a lab to do the printing for me but this option might be too costly. The other option would be to rent a darkroom but I will not be able to do this too often. Do you think that offering inkjet prints to my clients will somehow be perceived as lower standards?

I am looking forward to receive your thoughts on this

Rachel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since you don't have a darkroom, do you get all your stuff scanned? If so, try Hyrid Photo.com. They will have a ton of info for you regarding this method of printing.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Since you don't have a darkroom, do you get all your stuff scanned? If so, try Hyrid Photo.com. They will have a ton of info for you regarding this method of printing.
    Thank you for your help I will do some research on hybridphoto.

Shooter
    35mm
    You say you don't have a darkroom, but you don't say what your printing experience is. If you are an experienced printer consider finding a darkroom you can rent/borrow, for FB silver prints are a unique product these days, and are a good niche. However, if you aren't an experienced printer the learning curve will likely be pretty steep while under the gun. Better to ease in and get comfortable with printing before doing it for money and utilize another work flow in the short term.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    You say you don't have a darkroom, but you don't say what your printing experience is. If you are an experienced printer consider finding a darkroom you can rent/borrow, for FB silver prints are a unique product these days, and are a good niche. However, if you aren't an experienced printer the learning curve will likely be pretty steep while under the gun. Better to ease in and get comfortable with printing before doing it for money and utilize another work flow in the short term.
    thanks a lot for your advice, I havent got much experience with FB silver prints in the darkroom but will shortly do a course, finding a course in traditional FB silver printing in London has become a real challenge. I am really looking to target a niche market and will make the effort to concentrate on learning the right skills and master the process, in the mean time I will use digital/dry printing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin