Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,263   Online: 1117

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I did five for my MFA exhibit, back in 1986 and I just used full 32x40 sheets of mat board and 32x40 glass. The proportions are pretty dramatic. I made a mistake back then in using a Nielsen #11 frame. The 11 is quite flimsy at that size.
    Wow. That is pretty cool.

Here's a little more background- These will be for sale at a show. I will have a 10x10 booth. The 20x24's will be the flagships. Probably 4-5 in total. 2-3 across the back of the booth and two on each side of the front near the aisle. These will likely be on easels. 8x10 to 16x20 in bins (not framed). I could cut my costs and just frame the two for the aisle positions, and have everything else mounted and matted, but not framed. I can't figure out if people will be happy to purchase the mounted and matted print and prefer to have their own framing, or if they will prefer "turn key". I prefer less framing myself because it cuts down my financial outlay, transport difficulty, and danger of breakage and damage involved to pull off the show. If the venue was local I would offer framing options as a service, but since it isn't that will be impractical.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jason, one other place to try out is www.documounts.com. This outfit will custom cut your mats and mount board, your frames (including assembly!), and the plexi glass to your sepcifications. They will ship as well. I used them when I had to make 20 frames for a show I had last year. The consistency and quality was superb, and very reasonably priced.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moxom View Post
    Jason, one other place to try out is www.documounts.com. This outfit will custom cut your mats and mount board, your frames (including assembly!), and the plexi glass to your sepcifications. They will ship as well. I used them when I had to make 20 frames for a show I had last year. The consistency and quality was superb, and very reasonably priced.
    Will people buy plexi? Do they care? Does it look good? I've been using TruVue Museum, and love it as it's nearly invisible.

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Here's a little more background- These will be for sale at a show. I will have a 10x10 booth. The 20x24's will be the flagships. Probably 4-5 in total. 2-3 across the back of the booth and two on each side of the front near the aisle.
    I am not sure exactly what type of show you will be selling your work in but it sounds more like an Artshow as opposed to a gallery. Sales in galleries tend to be mostly framed but my artshow customers tell me that 70-80% of their sales are matted only. The framed work is primarily used to get people into the booth. Since you have limited wall space, you probably want to keep your borders small at 2 inches. For matted only, most people mat, mount to foamcore and then place inside a clearbag for protection while people are flipping through them. Here is a great forum for info on selling photography at Artshows:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/artshow_photo/

Cheers,
    Mark

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fdi View Post
    Unfortunately, there are no real standards for mat borders. Most mat borders are the result of placing one standard frame size into another. For example, an 11x14 will usually be matted for a 16x20 frame resulting in unequal borders of 2 1/2 and 3 inches. For an image as large as 20x24 I would not go under 2 inches and I would only do that with a thin frame. 4 inches is probably more ideal, and 5 or 6 will give it more of a gallery look but that will also dramatically increase the cost of the frame due to the size. If you are going to order from a frame wholesale company you will also want to consider shipping cost since you can end up with dimensional weight charges and over size fees. Standard mats will seldom be bottom weighted because that restricts the orientation. When selecting standard mat sizes for my company I settled on 2 inches (24x28) and 4 inches (28x32).

Cheers,
    Mark
    Thanks Mark. I pretty much figuring out that these in many ways these will be a custom job. So you guys have 28x32 for 20x24....

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Thanks Mark. I pretty much figuring out that these in many ways these will be a custom job. So you guys have 28x32 for 20x24....
    Yes and we do custom, and we are having a framing sale for APUG members.

Cheers,
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I might go ahead and frame the 20x24s, for presentation and protection during the show. I imagine their main purpose will be to attract people into the booth, where they might buy smaller prints. When I did a project on 20x24, I had trouble deciding on a frame size as well, so I just cut matboards that I think were 3-1/2 in. on the top (27 in. total width) and both sides, and 3-3/4 in. on the bottom (31-1/4 in. total height), and then bought sheets of non-glare Plexi and cut it to fit exactly. I backed the prints with 1/4 in. plywood, and used gaffer tape to make a 1/4 in. black border on the glass, and wrapped it around to the plywood to hold everything in position. This was because I was too cheap and broke to have 27x31-1/4 frames made, and had no time or desire to do it myself. The prints got accepted into a show, however, despite the frames made out of tape. (The juror told me he didn't even notice...it was the gallery manager who noticed.) However, there are less ghetto ways than gaffer tape to mount a print behind a frameless piece of glass...or you will be able to find pre-made frames that are 30x36, which is pretty close, though they look like fat borders to me. That is a matter of opinion, however.

As for your questions re: Plexi, FWIW, I used to work for a museum exhibit preparation company, and while actual glass is still the standard, many individuals (not museums) prefer Plexi, for various reasons, and we always stocked it. IMHO, it looks good and is easy to work at home. However, while it is cheaper than nice glass, good quality Plexi is still not cheap.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 02-19-2009 at 11:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've standardized all my monochrome print formats (4:5, 3:5, 1:2) into the following sizes based on convention, equipment limitations, and personal aesthetic (~4:5 equivalent shown):

Print: -> Mat:
    11X14 -> 16X20
    16X20 -> 24X30
    20X24 -> 28X34
    24X30 -> 32X40
    30X40 -> 36X48

All are slightly bottom weighted on 4-ply cotton rag museum board and floated into 8-ply beveled windows with a half inch well all the way around.

I stopped using glass a few years ago as rough shipping can ruin a print and earthquakes (west coast) can prove hazardous to life and limb. I now use only clear acrylic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin